Capturing FX-1 .ts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Capturing FX-1 .ts

OK.....Just ordered a FX1 from Sony. Unfortunately the sales rep. I spoke to was new to any of this stuff, so my questions regarding any bundled software a la the HD10u's capture utility and basic .ts to DVD appz went right over his head....

So, my question is directed to those who have already captured from the FX1.
I'm assuming that those at Cinemaform used their own capture utility, but surely there is a way to capture the HD stream from the cam? VLC strikes me as the most likely option. Perhaps there's someone who knows if Sony will be concurrently releasing FX1 capture support for Vegas.....

This could prove the biggest problem with the cam at first release, for those of us with the editing equipment/software and some experience already with HDV material.....
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:14 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Vegas 5 already supports working with this camera. Just plug,
capture and edit away. At least that's what I know and understand.
Keep in mind that they already have HDV support with the JVC
camera (yes, it isn't official HDV, but it is the same in the end).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 10:23 PM   #3
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Vegas 5 already supports working with this camera. Just plug,
capture and edit away. At least that's what I know and understand.
Keep in mind that they already have HDV support with the JVC
camera (yes, it isn't official HDV, but it is the same in the end). -->>>

Are you sure about that Rob? I hope you are, because my experience to date with the HD10u and Vegas 5 combination indicates otherwise..... Yes; there's HD/HDV MPEG2 support, but no direct capture. Vegas 5 will only recognise the HD10 when it's connected in DV mode.

This is why I was considering VLC as a capturing option. VLC should be able to recognise a .ts stream from 'a source' and record to HD while playing. Who knows? Even JVC's Capture Utility may be able to capture the .ts from the FX1!!!

I guess the hardest thing to come to grips with, is the distinction between HD/HDV support, and drivers that enable particular HD/HDV devices and transports. Even the HD10 suffered from this distinction, and the specs, data sheets and connection diagrams, give no indication of problems with 'real-world' connection and software integration.

That was why I was asking for anyone who has actually captured the FX1 stream to indicate how and with what they had achieved such a feat, given that Sony themselves (at least as far as the one local rep. I've talked to - and what I've gleaned from the available data/spec sheets), aren't offering any software/drivers etc with the FX1, i.e. no capture support of HDV with the cam.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 12:06 AM   #4
Trustee

I posted in the Vegas thread, but I'm having hard time making the Vegas capturing function to recognize FX1 as HDV cam. What Steve is saying seems to make sense.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 05:23 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

It seems like I was wrong indeed. I did a bit of research and it
seems like capturing is an issue but editing might not be. I know
for sure it at least supports HD resolutions. I could've sworn that
I read somewhere that Sony announced Vegas already works
with their new camera, but I cannot find it on this board again.

From a response on their own message board (Vegas) it seems
it will have support (ofcourse) soon though either in the form of
an update and/or Vegas5 + CineForm.

I appologize for my mis-information, sorry.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 05:47 AM   #6
Trustee

Rob,

According to this, I will try to bring in the m2t files from mac (captured by LumiereHD) to edit in Vegas 5. I will let you know the result.

How Sony people saying in interviews that "Vegas 5 is already supporting HDV" made us confuse. So I would say Sony is more mis-informing us then we thought it does already work with FX1.

Thank you for your continuous contribution anyway.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 07:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Mr.David Newman is Cineforms Connect HD FX1 patch ready yet? and Vegas 5 should get a patch for this camera wouldnt you think?
Mark Paschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:06 AM   #8
Trustee

I'm sure Sony will work on the patch, but it's funny that LumiereHD on Mac can capture already. But I have to make it clear that most of the functions seems not working on LumiereHD with FX1 file. So, for now, I'm planning to combine LumiereHD and Vegas5, that's all.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 10:17 AM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Paschke : Mr.David Newman is Cineforms Connect HD FX1 patch ready yet? and Vegas 5 should get a patch for this camera wouldnt you think? -->>>

Update to both Connect HD and Aspect HD for Sony HDV support should be ready for download in time for the Sony camera's US release. It is already working well, just a few details to finalize.

I do believe Vegas 5 will work on the native Sony files, but with low performance (HD is big :) .) I believe Connect HD will be the best way of getting performance out of HD workflows with Vegas.
Old October 24th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #10
Trustee

Hi, David,

I know people at HISCO, so I'm going to talk to them about getting the demo from them, so I can introduce ConnectHD with Vegas 5 and FX1 on VideoAlfa magazine in Japan. I read in another thread about supporting Decklink HD. May I ask what is the deal?
Old October 24th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #11
Wrangler

Lumiere HD will support the Sony FX1

The next version of Lumiere HD will support the FX1.

It will be a free upgrade to current owners of Lumiere HD
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #12
Trustee

Thank you Frederic,

I have version 1.2 of Lumiere HD and although version 1.2 does not work completely with FX1, it allows me to capture at this point and it is only solution for me to capture the footage right now.

All the footage I provide on the FX1 thread is captured that way. I'm hoping to get the update soon because I primary use Final Cut Pro HD and Decklink HD.

I'm a VAR for Video and Audio, so I need to know about Vegas & ConnectHD aside from me using FCPHD.

Thank you for your information anyway.
Old October 25th, 2004, 02:40 AM   #13
Major Player

Which still leaves the question of how to capture from the FX1 to a PC......

Has anyone done it yet, and I'm not talking about HD support here - just the capturing of the m2t stream.

I'm aware that Connect HD will add HD editing capability to Vegas (beyond that which it already has), and that a future release of Connect HD will add capture ability to Vegas.

BTW.....Kaku; Vegas works wonderfully with the m2t files you posted. Native rez. still captures, edits etc. etc. are more than just possible on 1080i ts. It's just getting the clips from the cam to the PC that's a quandry for me at the moment...

I'm just about to check some of your clips on a Sharp 83cm LCD HDTV (1330x800 resolution) so they should look awesome!!!
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:34 AM   #14
Major Player

see my post in main HDR-FX1 forum...

Steve, there's an update - apparently, user in Japan reports this app works...

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=532

I don't have a cam so can't confirm - maybe Kaku Ito can.

Or anyone who might have an FX1 and a PC.
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #15
Trustee

Back from article writing hell....

Mark,

This thing didn't work for me. Also, with 3Ghz Pentium Dell that I have, I wasn't getting comfortable speed on Vegas to edit my files.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions