Help Request: What program to use to convert from H264 to HDV? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 25th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Trustee

David,
I am not looking at all the options for exporting but Mpeg Streamclip and it is free.

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

Might be able to help you out for getting H264 to some other Codec Protools likes better. I would worry that frame sync may drift between audio and video on any conversion though so it may throw your timing a little off. Clients may have to send you some sort of sync check on the file like a countdown so you can tell if your playback system is accurate.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Scarfo View Post
Thank you for taking an interest and pointing me in a direction. I'd be happy if you could be more specific how you believe it will speed up my workflow.
Sean, if you are finding it hard to see how spotting to an exact time code number would be a time saver over guessing and repositioning then I don't know what to tell you.
You might pose this question over on the gearslutz board in the post section next to your other question there. They are a wealth of info and not quite as cranky as this old fart.
And again, I strongly recommend reading your ProTools user manual, as it would be helpful in your situation.

All the Best!
Old December 25th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Daniel,

I think I 'might' have found my solution, via TMPGEnc + the Avid DNxHD codec. It definitely keeps the HD quality I'm looking for, it's frame accurate, and the file size isn't crazy large like Photo JPeg. I've found by tweaking the DVCPro Codec, it retains a good portion of quality as well, but much smaller file size.
-----------
David,

Well, I guess we're not seeing eye to eye as I was looking forward to learning from someone with many (many) years experience. I've re-read the Ref Guide per your suggestion, and haven't found anything that I find applicable in my particular work flow. If you're referring to the use of 'spot' mode, I've been using that for a long while.

Maybe after the holidays are done you'd be willing to share some pointers or describe your workflow as so I can better understand your perspective.
Sean Scarfo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions