HDV-timeline from FCP (mac) to Premiere/AE (windows)? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 10th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #1
New Boot

HDV-timeline from FCP (mac) to Premiere/AE (windows)?

Hello everybody,

My colleague (who uses FCP on a Mac) and I (Premiere/After Effects CS4 on windows) are trying to find out how to transfer his FCP-HDV-timeline to mine in Premiere or After Effects.

Firstly we have noticed that footage captured on a mac by FCP doesn't seem to play in Windows. Is there a more windows-compatible way of capturing footage into a mac computer?

Also we havenīt managed to correctly transfer the FCP timeline itself. We tried exporting an OMF file from FCP and importing it into After Effects with Automatic Duck, but without usable results.

Any suggestions on this?
Experiences?

Thanks very much in advance,
Greetings,
Jan
Jan van der Ven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Tourist

Quote:
Firstly we have noticed that footage captured on a mac by FCP doesn't seem to play in Windows. Is there a more windows-compatible way of capturing footage into a mac computer?
Depends on your source material. If you captured to ProRes there is a Windows decoder available from Apple. What codec did you capture to?

Quote:
Also we havenīt managed to correctly transfer the FCP timeline itself. We tried exporting an OMF file from FCP and importing it into After Effects with Automatic Duck, but without usable results.
Don't export an OMF file from Final Cut Pro, instead export an XML file. Pro Import AE imports XML files from Final Cut Pro.
Wes Plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #3
New Boot

Hello Wes Plate,

Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Depends on your source material. If you captured to ProRes there is a Windows decoder available from Apple. What codec did you capture to?
My colleague captured the footage (from his Canon XH-A1) directly into FCP, so I guess this means he hasn't used ProRes?

Quote:
Don't export an OMF file from Final Cut Pro, instead export an XML file. Pro Import AE imports XML files from Final Cut Pro.
Oh I'm sorry, I meant XML!
No OMF was exported, we used an XML.

Thanks again,
Jan
Jan van der Ven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
My colleague captured the footage (from his Canon XH-A1) directly into FCP, so I guess this means he hasn't used ProRes?
Your subject says HDV so I'm guessing that's what the media is. Your FCP editor should be able to tell in an instant what the codec is, though, and if what he is using isn't Windows-compatible then use the Media Manager in FCP to recompress to a codec that you can open in Windows (like ProRes).

Quote:
Oh I'm sorry, I meant XML!
No OMF was exported, we used an XML.
Then you shouldn't have had any issues getting into After Effects using Pro Import AE. Please create a support ticket at Automatic Duck, Inc. and send as much detail as you can about the problem you had. Screenshots are always welcome if they help us understand the problem.
Wes Plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks again for your help, we will look at these options soon.

Cheers
Jan
Jan van der Ven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions