HDV post issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV post issue

I have footage that I shot with a JVC GY-HD110 in 720p24 and captured with Premiere CS4. I am running Vista 64, 4gb ram, dual 2.4ghz processors.

I try to watch the .mpeg footage in Media Player and it won't play. Also, when the footage is in the Premiere timeline, the audio and the video are NOT synced. If I play the footage back in the camera, they ARE synced. Whats the trick? Do I need to download some kind of codec/encoder?

Thanks.
Ryan
Ryan Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Has this setup worked previously? That would be my first question.

If you should be needing codecs, an excellent source is the K-Lite Codec Pack which is free to download.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Trustee

Andrew,

You must be a fan of reformatting and fresh installs of OS and programs. Advising anybody to commit kamikaze by using K-Lite goes against my judgment. K-Lite is about the worst pack to install on any machine, it is worse than a tsunami.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:00 PM   #4

I'm quite surprised. Just adding codecs to a Windows installation should not affect any software installs at all. Just makes 'em available for use.

K-lite does come in 3 different configurations / weights according to how much you wish to install. I for one really do like Media Player Classic - it just simply works, and it also gives me extra properties information for video clips.

Andrew
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #5
Trustee

Andrew,

I use MPC as well, but it does not require K-Lite to function.
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #6

True, true. And it goes to show what can be done without megabytes of file size for an executable.

My main reason for suggesting K-lite is that you can get a whole bunch of codecs installed fairly easily. If the problem is a missing codec issue, then this is an easy way to fix it.

Speaking of which ... whatever happened to Ryan?

Andrew
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have edited HDV with no problem before, but it was shot with a XH-A1. I have been reading that the JVC and Premiere don't seem to work well with each other? I think I am just going to try capturing with Cineform. Thanks.
Ryan Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #8
Trustee

JVC and PR do not work well together if you are talking about MOD files.
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Major Player

Capturing HDV with Cineform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Thomas View Post
I have edited HDV with no problem before, but it was shot with a XH-A1. I have been reading that the JVC and Premiere don't seem to work well with each other? I think I am just going to try capturing with Cineform. Thanks.
Ryan, which Cineform product are you using to capture HDV footage into Premiere?
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Thomas View Post
I have been reading that the JVC and Premiere don't seem to work well with each other?
Not that capturing with CineForm is a bad idea...but I've used 720p23.98 HDV footage from a JVC camera in Premiere CS3 and CS4 without an issue... I'm not sure what all the available nuances are in the settings though as I don't use a JVC camera myself.

So I guess the primary point is that I don't think there is necessarily some permanent issue between PPro and the JVC ProHD cameras... Which model was the footage shot on? Was it an older model or a newer one? I think the stuff I edited was from a 110...
Old March 19th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #11
Trustee

Prem Pro and JVC don't gel directly. mpeg streamclip doesn't help either. cineform works perfectly and if you don't want to go that route but can record directly on a laptop, use onlocation and stream from a firewire to the recording device.

But go for cineform if you can, it will make your editing and finishing a lot less time consuming.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions