What's going on in the world of DIVX? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old October 28th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Major Player

What's going on in the world of DIVX?

I'm seeing a couple of software titles silently pop up here and there saying they can burn DivX-HD DVD's for their respected players. I did a little research, and some DVD players on the market will handle DivX right now as it is. Although I highly doubt that they play DivX HD, does anyone think this might be another delivery solution, or will it flop just like the oldschool DivX DVD's from before.

(I think it will flop. Or eventually be PC-only.)
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #2
Major Player

I have over 100 clients that I produce for.
Nobody has ever asked me for anything containing divx.
They all want SD-dvd.
I guess when an HD disk arrives for the masses, then something will have to be made available when the clients start asking.
I have no idea what the benefit of divx is nor who uses it nor how.
Is divx relevant? It would appear not.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

DivX HD can be played on a handful of specialized DVD players listed on the DivX web site, but those same players will also play WMV HD files and possibly H.264. WMV and H.264 will be the primary distribution codecs of the near future, along with SD and HD MPEG2. DivX is a marginalized option.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #4
Trustee

Keep in mind that the failed DiVX DVD distribution method, and the DiVX; avi-codec are COMPLETELY different things!

As the previous post said WM9 and H.264 are the two mpeg4 flavors officially approved for the forthcoming HD disks. Nero Digital is a superset of H.264 and claims it also will be fully compatible with forthcoming standalone hardware.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #5
Trustee

Divx is an online delivery format. If you have the option of exchanging physical media, by all means give a DVD.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions