Comparison of NLE HD to SD downconversion quality - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 29th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #91
Regular Crew

My HD to (progressive) DVD Workflow

Having tried a number of ideas on this thread I've come up with the following workflow for going from HDV to DVD. I've played the DVDs created with this workflow back on a full HD monitor and they compare very well with the original HD project. So here it is

1. Capture and edit in PPCS3 Cineform intermediate (convert HDV to square pixels 1920x1080)
2. Export edited project back out to Cineform intermediate. Deinterlace at this stage. No scaling, resolution remains 1920x1080
3. Import this file into After Effects use the following composition settings
-Preset: PAL D1/DV Widescreen
- The “Lock Aspect Ratio to 5:4” will be checked (this does not cause any problems in getting the final 16:9 ratio)
-Pixel aspect ratio: D1/DV PAL Widescreen (1.42)
- The rest sets itself with no issues.
4. Drag your 1920x1080 video into your 720x576 composition
5. Select your video file in the composition window hit the “S” key for scale and adjust the scale of your video to 53.5%
If you want your monitor to show how your AE export will look toggle the pixel aspect correction button on the composition monitor window.
6. Next select “add to render queue" and under the “output module” use the following settings.
-Format: MPEG 2 DVD with the following format options
Quality: 5
TV Standard: PAL
Field Order: Progressive
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 16:9
Bitrate Encoding: CBR
Bitrate [Mbps]: 8
The rest you can leave as is. Next hit Render.
7. Once this file has rendered out import it into a new Encore project. I have tried a number of other “consumer grade” DVD authoring programs and none of them have accepted the type of progressive MPEG 2 file produced with this method without wanting to re-encode the file in an interlaced form. Encore will not re-encode the beautiful progressive MPEG that you have created.

Last edited by Ben Denham; July 29th, 2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: wonky quotation mark
Ben Denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #92
Inner Circle

Have you tried with NTSC footage?
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM   #93
Regular Crew

Ntsc?

No I haven't tried NTSC but I'd be interested to see how others might go with a similar workflow. There are two NTSC widescreen presets in the After effects composition settings dropdown. One for 29.97 (I think) frames per second and the other for 23.97 (or something like that). I guess if your authoring a progressive DVD the 23.97 might be the way to go or you could override the preset and insert 24 fps in the AE comp settings. Aside from that there's also the issue of going from 60i to 24p which I have no experience with but I'm sure you could find info on. The 50i to 25p of PAL land is a slightly easier equation.

Last edited by Ben Denham; August 3rd, 2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: adding information
Ben Denham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions