Editing DVCPROHD footage vs HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 19th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing DVCPROHD footage vs HDV

What kind of hardware does it take to effectively edit DVCPROHD footage vs HDV footage? Is DVCPROHD more or less demanding than HDV, and what kind of size requirements does each have in comparison to the other?

When streamed/imported from camera, what format is each type of footage in? (ie does HDV get stored as MPEG2 files & DVCPROHD as .AVI files, or...?)
Daniel Cegla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

bump.

I never got a response to this and it would be greatly appreciated.

How demanding is DVCPROHD footage on a computer and what do I need to effectively edit it?
Daniel Cegla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #3
RED / Scarlet / DVXUser

HDV will be much more demanding on your pc than DVCPRO HD.

Users have reported editing DVCPRO HD on a not so new single core laptop. And, being able to do it in realtime right off of the card.

I use a core duo laptop and can edit 4-5 streams (probably more) in realtime (This being with EDIUS)

HDV = More demand on pc to edit due to its long format.

DVCPRO HD = you will need a lot more HDD space to store and archive your footage. 1080p is a gig a minute to record. 720pn is dependent on the frame rate, since it only records the amount of frames you tell it to. for 24fps in 720pn you will get about 2 and a half times that. On 16 gig cards I can record 41 minutes of 720p/24pn.

But DVCPRO HD is much less taxing on your system. Just not the amount of HDD space you will need to store, edit, archive it.

Jason
Jason Ramsey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions