HDV NTSC to DHV Pal conversion? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old April 19th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #1
New Boot

HDV NTSC to DHV Pal conversion?

Forgive me if this had been explained before. I have a 60i NTSC HDV tape and want to convert it into a 50i Pal DVD. What are my options. I’m using PP2 with Matrox RT.X2.

I have read that people are importing the 60i footage into 50i timelines and encoding it there with good results. But how do you encode it so it’s not so jumpy?

I have also seen software advertised that can make the 60i look like 24p pal, how can I do this converstion using pp2 and Matrox?

and also what can i do about sound. if i interpreat the video it distorts the sound, any ideas?
Any help would be appreciated.

Scott.
Scott Holgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #2
Trustee

If you happen to know anyone with Canopus Procoder, it does a good 60i to 50i conversion - either to an avi file, or direct to mpeg2 for your DVD.

Premiere never used to be good at what you need - havent tried with the most recent versions though.

(By the way, HDV 60i is not referred to as NTSC - PAL and NTSC are strictly SD terms.)
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #3
New Boot

Canopus prododer wanted

Thanks Graham,

You don’t know anyone with a Canopus procoder system that would be willing to do the transfer for me. Of course I would be willing to pay for it. It’s a short film I’ve spent the last 4 months working on.
Scott Holgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Sorenson Squeeze

Since your final product is a DVD, you could use a piece of software to encode directly from your NTSC high def footage to PAL mpeg2. I have played around with Sorenson Squeeze and was pleased with the results - it was the other way around (PAL HDV footage to NTSC DVD) but I guess it should be the same.

What do you exactly mean by "if i interpreat the video it distorts the sound"?
Old April 20th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the reply,

By interpret footage I mean, in pp2 you can right click the captured avi file and select interpret footage. There you can change the frame rate to 25fps but it is quite jumpy and the sound is slow motion and out of sync. I have tried speeding up the video and audio but neither is very effective.
Scott Holgates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions