New US air travel rules for cam. batteries - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:06 PM   #91
Regular Crew

Traveling to NYC on July 13th and my camera/equip will be coming with me on the plane

First off, this thread has been very helpful, so thanks for that. :-) I have 2 rechargeable battery packs - NP-F750 & NP-F960 and from what I've read here, and from the link provided in one of the posts, both will be okay to board the plane with me. I'm taking with me, my VX2000, a tripod, DV Caddie, power adaptor with cord and two batteries, which will all go with me on the plane.

I have a question regarding my AC power adaptor. Will that pose any problem when I'm going through security? I'm also wondering if, when flying to NYC, the rules are more rigid due to 9/11. I'm coming from Cleveland and will be arriving at La Guardia.

Also, how do I handle the cassettes I'll be taking with me? Should I permit those to go through the x-ray machine, or should they be held aside?
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:51 PM   #92
Major Player

Linda:

There should be no problem with the power supply. Don't be surprised if it gets a little extra attention after X-ray, and maybe even a question about what it is. Cords and electronics look pretty scary on the colorized X-ray monitor.

I think the general consensus has been that the X-ray machine has no effect on videotape, shot or un-shot. If you're worried, ask for a hand check of your cassettes. Just be sure you have some extra time, because once they start looking, they'll likely open every single tape box to examine the contents.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #93
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, Bill. Yes - the AC Power Adaptor is a bit curious looking, being a solid, rectangular shape with a cord on one end and a socket on the other. The tapes themselves, I'll put aside, for them to examine.

I just don't want any glitches or confiscations awaiting for me at the security point. :-P
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #94
Major Player

While no TSA agent has even checked this yet on my trips, one other precautionary measure: put each of your batteries in a little ziploc bag, so they are isolated from metal contact across the battery leads.

In theory, if you don't, you're not in compliance with the carry on rules for Lithium Ion batteries, and they could be taken out of your bag.
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #95
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info. I've also read that the battery ends need to be taped? Does this also apply to lithium batteries?
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #96
Major Player

Linda: well, that's another way to adhere to the rules. (brrrump-ching!) But seriously, folks...

I wouldn't tape the ends of the battery. You don't need to. The Ziploc bags (or original cardboard/plastic packaging) work just fine, and you don't have to worry about gunky build-up on the battery leads transferring into your power slots on the camera.
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #97
Regular Crew

Yeah, I read somewhere on line that my type of battery doesn't require tape, so zip-locs, it is!
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #98
Regular Crew

I've traveled quite a bit with Camera Equipment and I'm amazed they don't question me because of all the cords and cables in my bag (multiple chargers for different camera batteries, laptop AC cord, phone charger, headphones, xlr cables, etc.) They just make me take my laptop and camera out of the carryon and I've never had problems.

I'll also echo the battery solution. Either put them in plastic bags or in completely separate containers so the metal contacts on the battery can't touch other metal. Just allow a little extra time so you don't have to rush.
Joe Sonnenburg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home