19" rack for studio set up? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old March 20th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #1
New Boot

19" rack for studio set up?

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up a studio in my house here in London. I am a casting director and I am so board in having to go to horrible casting studios so have decided to do it myself. We are pretty much ready to go but i am looking to streamline the design. will post some photos soon.

Has any one got any advice on making your own 19" rack. I have multiple DVD recorders, and Mini DV decks along with monitors and a Mac Tower and I would like to get them all stored in a vertical rack for ease of use in our studio. Propper 19" racks seem a bit excessive in price for what i need and i don't think i want an enclosed case system anyway. im thinking wire or framework....

We shoot on a Sony - V1 with feeds going out simultaneously to all the above formats. I am trying to avoid the spread affect throughout the room so going vertically will be my best bet?

Obviously i am on a budget as are most people.....

any ideas.

also looking for a low cost caption/title generator? any ideas where to start??

thanks

sandy
x

....... getting there slowly
Sandy Tedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Major Player

It is certainly possible to make yr own racks. I made two 19" racks as pedestals for a work surface.

Do you have good woodworking skills? A table saw is almost mandatory. I used 3/4" particle board. This breaks easily so it must be reinforced. Screws must be pre-drilled and tightened carefully--you won't have a second chance. You'll still have to obtain the drilled and tapped rails which are quite expensive. I got mine free--tv station was throwing 'em away.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably use plywood.

Now, looking at your equipment list, it doesn't look like there is anything that is specifically designed for rack mounting? Maybe you can get a bookshelf at IKEA or someplace that you can drill wire access holes into? Probably cheaper and easier.
Old August 29th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Trustee

Look for a post shop that's closing down or buy secondhand. Check Bazzas bazaar MVS just a couple that come to mind. It doesn't matter how old they are, they last forever.

Last edited by Philip Howells; August 29th, 2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Major Player

As you can see here K&M | 42015-000-55 Rack Wagon | 42015-000-55 | B&H Photo Video you really dont need that much to build a rack. Some metal, a saw, drill, and nuts and bolts is all you need to build a box. Then just find a box to put it in

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home