Surgery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old September 19th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Surgery

So the primary use of the company I work for getting a new camera (XDCAM EX1) is to record surgeries where our products are used. Now I have experience with recording 3 surgical videos. (One colectomy using a Z1U and two c-sections using an F350) In all cases I rented a spider pod as well to get above the surgeons and nurses. Now in all cases I didn’t put anything around the camera but now I am thinking I need something like a rain jacket but disposable. I am thinking about using these clear bags we use in the clean room and some gaff or medical tape to secure it to the front of the camera (with a hole cut for the lens) and leave it open in the back. Do I need to worry about the camera overheating at all or should I be fine? Some surgeries can last 4-6 hours and I would like to be able to change the cards as needed in the camera as well as the battery.

If any of you have any experience in the matter please give me your thoughts. I am flying out to a cadaver lab on Friday (which I am told is extremely smelly) and would like to keep that smell off of my new camera if I can.

Thank you!
Old September 20th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
As someone who has taped surgeries as well as having shot in an intensive hog operation, I can tell you that I prefer to wrap my camera in store brand cling wrap and carefully cut access to switches, tape doors etc. as necessary. Use as little as possible and be aware that you may be trapping heat so try and establish what areas of the camera get warm in practice before heading out into a mission critical scenario.

My surgery experience includes skin grafts, hip and knee replacement and some minor procedures.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home