Video Work Station - ie. Desk at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old July 14th, 2002, 11:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Video Work Station - ie. Desk

Does anybody know of a resource for a video work station. I am sure there is a company out there that makes this sort of desk. My goal is to not break the bank, yet find a decent workable solution.

Thanks!
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2002, 03:48 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Buy a copy of DV magazine. In the back, you'll find plenty of sources for workstations. I have even seen some with a soundproofed enclosure for the PC.
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2002, 10:45 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Paul,

I've recently gone through the same search you're going through.

The best I've found for pre-made and custom-made AV furniture is Omnirax (http://www.omnirax.com/). However, you're apt to spend over $1000 if you buy one of their nifty desks.

If you're like me, what you really want is solid, stable surface area, and lots of it. Surface area for dual or triple monitors, NTSC monitors, waveform monitors, audio speaker monitors, monitors, monitors, monitors. And you'll also want drawers, big sturdy drawers to fit all your miscellenious gear that doesn't need to sit on a desktop all the time.

I found an economy solution which is superior to any of the fabricated desks available for sale.

I went to Home Depot and bought a solid core oak door, undrilled, 80" x 36" x 1 3/4" thick, for ~$50. This is as solid and good-looking as desktops come. I also bought some Minwax Gel Stain and ClearShield and a brush.

Then I went to Staples and bought two matching two-drawer steel vertical file cabinets, manufactured by HON, 29" x 15" x 26 1/2" deep. Each was ~$100.

I'm staining the desk now. The total expenditure was under $300, and I can outfit the desk with a shelf or riser later if I want to.

I think this is the best bang for your buck: you certainly won't get as large, as solid, or as pretty a desk for less.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2002, 10:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Robert,

That is EXACTLY what I have been thinking! I also have kicked around the idea of building one. It would sure beat dropping a $1000 for something that I could build myself.

What are your thoughts on the building of a riser? This is something that I would want to design into the desk.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2002, 12:35 PM   #5
Wrangler

Hey Paul,

A trip to Home Depot or similar building supply warehouse does wonders to spark the imagination. They have all sorts of materials that would work to build a good sturdy riser into your new desk, including pre-stained oak shelving boards.

If you're staining your own desk, and you want the riser or shelf to match, buy an unstained oak board and stain using the same product when you stain the desk.

Note that if you mount your desktop on two two-drawer file cabinets like I'm doing, the desk surface will be relatively high, in my case 30 1/2" off the ground. (Most desks are between 26" and 27" off the ground.) If this is the case, you might find a monitor riser places your monitors too high up for comfortable use. I like my monitors eye-level, and I'd much rather have a shelf ABOVE the monitors than a riser the monitors sit atop. If I find I need the extra space, I will likely mount a 80" x 18" oak plank 17" or 18" above the surface of the desk, using thin, tall shelf or drawer cabinets to rest it atop.

My desk will end up being austere, utilitarian, and gorgeous. No fancy accoutrements like built-in CD racks or wingtips, just a smooth, beautiful wood surface that will be large enough to house my monitors, computers, keyboards, mice, and still have room to spare for all the books, papers, and random clutter that I enjoy watching accumulate. But if you want a more serious project, a visit to www.minwax.com will yield fancy carpentry tips for all sorts of projects like this one.

Good luck! Send pictures!

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home