Archiving Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Archiving Footage

Martyn Hull wrote a message about how to store tapes on disc for the long run, which refreshed a question I've been trying to discover myself for a while:

What is the best way to archive hundreds and thousands of self made "stock footage"? I always hate dishing out $300 for 30 seconds of stock footage from a website, so I've been slowing getting my own clips of all kinds of shots every time I'm out shooting.

But now I have thousands of clips of everything ranging from golfcourse shots (mowers running, sprinklers on, flag blowing on the green, golf carts driving by, etc. etc.) to the hot-air balloons near my house, etc.

I might not ever use some of the shots, but when the time comes that I in fact DO need the shot of the golf ball going in to the hole, I have a dickens of a time finding the shot.

It was OK when I had a hundred +/- clips, but now with 1000+ it's like pulling teeth finding it.

I've been using Adobe Bridge and adding metadata tags, but I'm starting to see some limitations with the program (like if I have a harddrive offline, I'd still like to be able to access a low-res copy of it with a drive that's online).

I'd love to know if there's a local equivalent of a stock-image website, where you can search by tags, like "grass; golf; hole" to narrow down your files and see a low-res copy of it then and there. Then if it's the right clip, you can find out the physical location of it to import it to your project.

Sorry for the long post. THANKS!
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'd like a "proper" library application for video footage too!

You can try Microsoft Expression Media - http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/ex...2/default.aspx - but I found it didn't support all formats (but then, I don't have QuickTime installed on that particular machine).

I actually use Adobe Lightroom - Adobe - Photo Management Software - Photoshop Lightroom - (yes, I know that's designed for images) with Jeffrey Friedl's Video Asset Management plug-in: Jeffrey Friedl’s Blog Jeffrey’s “Video-Asset Management” Lightroom Plugin

It doesn't actually tag the video files themselves, but the associate thumbnails it generates. However, the tagging options are only limited by Lightroom itself, and the thumbnails are available when the media is off-line.

Try both and see if one or the other works out.
Stuart Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Hmm... Thanks. I've actually tried both of those (but not the plugin). Not overly satisfied with them yet. Hoping someone else can chime in.
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You don't say what kind of footage you're storing, but it may be possible to use software such as Sony's Clip Browser. It's not really a searching/sorting program, but it does allow one to label clips and then sort them. It also stores a cache of all clips for quick access.

Just a thought.
Old September 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Microsoft Expression Media maybe the way to go. You can download a free trial version. I have found it is satisfactory for stills and digital video.
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home