Locking your equipment up - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old January 31st, 2013, 02:14 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Locking your equipment up

Any suggestions on a metal safe for a few handheld cameras, around 8 cubic feet would work.
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:31 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Silas: I USED to have a Knaack Model 42.

Knaack LLC - KNAACK JOBMASTER Jobsite Storage Chests

Only issue I had was the completely hidden padlock system was occasionally difficult to lock and required a VERY specific padlock to be purchased separately... If I did it again, I'd get one from the retailer...
Old March 17th, 2017, 06:45 AM   #18
Major Player

Old thread but I just took some photos of my editing suite and my gear storage room since I need to update my insurance. This place has very robust security, so I haven't worried about getting ripped off. My landlord stopped by the other day and freaked out about all my gear. I had just returned from a shoot and was putting it all away. He urged me to increase my coverage, soooo... here are some photos of the gear storage room.

I bought some steel cabinets from a used office furniture store for $500. They lock, but that's just to keep prying eyes away. It would be easy to pop them open. In one cabinet, I keep my dSLRs and other smaller cameras on the shelf, along with some video cables and LANC remotes.

I got some smaller metal/plastic cabinets for organizing all the smaller stuff; batteries, filters, data recorders, tripod accessories, cables, remotes, lens cleaning kit, memory cards, etc. In the top drawer below the cabinet, I keep some lenses, more filters, lens adapters, handy cams. In the 2nd drawer are project archive storage and in the bottom drawer is mostly camera support items.

I keep most of my audio gear in a Craftsman tool chest in a 2nd steel cabinet. In the closet I have a Kessler Cineslider and Pocket Jib as well as a couple tripods and several suction cup mounts and loads of gaffer tape. I have a little charging station area that can handle all my batteries. I keep the FS7 in the Jason Cases large Pelican case, and in one 1510 is all my action camera stuff. 8 cameras with all their batteries and mounts, cables. In the bottom drawer of the Craftsman cabinet I have the Oracle controller, battery pack, high hat and tripod head for use with the Cineslider. Various loose gear are my monitors (SmallHD DP6 and Odyssey 7Q+).

Those steel cabinets helped clear up lots of clutter. Highly recommended. Use smaller electronics parts-type cabinets inside to sort out your smaller items. Label everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Locking your equipment up-gear-storage-01-cabinets.jpg   Locking your equipment up-gear-storage-02-closet.jpg  

Locking your equipment up-gear-storage-03-charging-station.jpg   Locking your equipment up-gear-storage-04-cabinet-1.jpg  

Locking your equipment up-gear-storage-05-drawer-1.jpg   Locking your equipment up-gear-storage-06-drawer-2.jpg  

Locking your equipment up-gear-storage-07-drawer-3.jpg   Locking your equipment up-gear-storage-08-cabinet-2.jpg  

Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #19
Major Player

... and a few more pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Locking your equipment up-gear-storage-09-audio-chest.jpg   Locking your equipment up-gear-storage-10-pelicans.jpg  

Locking your equipment up-gear-storage-11-action-cams.jpg   Locking your equipment up-gear-storage-12-jason-case.jpg  

Locking your equipment up-gear-storage-13-small-cases.jpg  
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 08:22 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Excellent post and pics, Mark -- definitely a discussion topic worth reviving. Thanks!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:55 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Somehow, I get the feeling that the username and password on Mark Watson's router are NOT "admin" and "admin". ;)
Old March 21st, 2017, 08:37 AM   #22
Major Player

That is not secure! Get a safe or two and add your own shelves. Used gun safes can be had cheap. Also an alarm system. I have a whole house system AND a separate system for my editing/equipment room.
The last system has a warning on the door. If you open the door without disarming the alarm, you will be greeted by two absolutely ear shattering sirens (illegal). I only tested it ONCE and my ears were ringing all day. Police response time averages 21 minutes and the thieves know it.

I am a private investigator and have worked on toooo many burglary cases! I live in Atlanta, GA. Every day, we have at least one burglary in our surrounding neighborhoods.

Good luck.
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 08:41 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Silas: I USED to have a Knaack Model 42.

Knaack LLC - KNAACK JOBMASTER Jobsite Storage Chests

Only issue I had was the completely hidden padlock system was occasionally difficult to lock and required a VERY specific padlock to be purchased separately... If I did it again, I'd get one from the retailer...
That looks like a great system. It has NO wheels so the bad guys can't roll it out the door.
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home