Traveling To India with a Canon XL2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old July 30th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #16
Trustee

Ed, I have used the Tamrac for years. Best carry on you can get. I dia-assmble the entire camcorder and use the padding that comes with th ecase. Listen, I have taken it to Africa, the Amazon, Patagonia and all over the US. It is big enough for not only the XL-1s and all the stuff (charger, tapes, filters etc) but, it will actually hold two lens (put a pad between them). If stopped at security it only takes a minute to put together to show security. One thing, I bought a wider better padded shoulder strap. And yes, it meets all airline standards for size. If you go with the soft case still take the view finder off. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #17
Trustee

Ed, also, but a good electric outlet adapter and. AA small cheap electric item such as a hair dryier. I use this to test the current in hotels. Beleive it or not I blew one in Nirobie. at least it wasn't the charger. Bob
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:38 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hello Boyd and others,

Yes, it was the Tamerac 646, sorry and yes, you are correct. My bad. I can not fit the case under the seat. It will have to go in overhead. I beleive I can leave the XL2 viewfinder on, and just stowe it in the Tamerac.
Also, thats a great idea before plugging in the XL2 charger. Damm, if that blew out I would be shutdown....
I was just talking to another associate that flew to Bangelore, same place I am going, and Air India lost her luggage that she checked. THis happened 1 week ago. I am to go over and meet her there. I will NOT check any baggage. I will pack light and wash clothes that I have on the go.
Ed Bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM   #19
Trustee

Ed, do yourself a BIG favor and take the viewfinder off. That is the weakest part of the XL series. Also, I advise a photo vest with inside zip pockets and, go and get a snap hook. Hook the camera sprap to the vest to help prevent grab and run. Also, take some super glue, rubber bands, an assortment of short 6-12 inch tiedowns, several plactic zip lock bags and, I always carry a couple of larger trash bage in my vest. It has saved my XL a few times during those sudden downpours. Oh, bandaids and asperin is also a good thing. Be safe, when in dought do not drink the water or eat the fruits till washed. Oh, make a copy of all your sales recipts and keep it with your passport, and, keep a copy of your buisness card tucked away inside the camera case. Have fun. Bob
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:01 PM   #20
Wrangler

Also not a bad idea to go to the US Dept of State website and read their advice for travellers to your destination. You can fill out an online form to notify them of your hotel, etc so they can contact you or relatives if something does go wrong.

They also generally advise that you make a copy of your passport and carry that with you (I put another copy in my camera bag also), then leave your original locked in the hotel safe. I also left one credit card and some cash in the safe just in case my wallet was stolen.

As part of their credit card registry program, you can send a copy of your passport to them, and they have an expedited passport replacement service as well.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:41 AM   #21
Trustee

Also, it is VERY important to notify for credit card company that you are going overseas, the destination and the dates. I have known people who went to Italy and started using their cards a lot and the company flagged it as suspitious and cancelled the card thinking it was stolen. Also do this with am ATM card. Bob
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:55 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hello Bob,
GREAT idea about hooking XL2 to camera vest. I have many vests that I use and I never thought of hooking camera to vest. Now I know what that hook ring is for....far out.
Ok, also great idea on Passport. Nver thought of leaving spare credit card in hotel safe.

Man, what a site. I get more info here then anywhere. Thanks folks...
Ed Bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:06 PM   #23
Major Player

It's all good reading for me too.

I'm flying into Reno NV to do a documentary on the Rubicon on the 11th of Augest. I have been a little worried about getting my camera on board in "ONE PIECE". My currently XL1s breaks down small enough to fit in my backpack along with my 17" widescreen laptop. It's heavy, but they fit.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #24
Major Player

Sorry to jump-start an old thread, but it has such great information in it!

I'm heading over to Taiwan (from Australia) next month, and need to take my Sony Z1P away with me. I was thinking about purchasing a Petrol PWB-HDV Bag and taking the camera on-board with me. Has anyone had any experience with this particular product? According to my calculations Singapore Airlines should except it as on-board luggage. It seems pretty strong, and can hold all the gizmos that are required with the camera.

Currently my camera is in a Storm M2700 case (and I've also got a Pelican 1510 tools case), but I don't really want to check in my camera, and I think a soft bag looks a little more discrete than a hard Pelican case.

Are there any items you can't bring on board in 2006? Microphones, batteries, tapes, cables, rechargers, etc.?

I've never been to Taiwan either - anything I should know?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Check out this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=73672
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....18&postcount=6

I spent 6 weeks in India about a month or so ago--hit me up if you have any questions...
You can also check out my travel blog at http://roads-to-roam.blogspot.com/
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #26
Major Player

Thanks for the link Jeff! It was a very interesting read...

However, I'm still very much interested in what people think about the Petrol bag, general flying information for 2006 and any Taiwan stories I should know about...
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
Thanks for the link Jeff! It was a very interesting read...

However, I'm still very much interested in what people think about the Petrol bag, general flying information for 2006 and any Taiwan stories I should know about...
My experience with flying just a few months ago was not too bad-- and this was just a few weeks BEFORE all the recent 'plots' were being 'executed', so I'm sure things are a little more strict now...Can anyone confirm to what extent from recent travel?

But I put my XL2- lens and all, taken apart in a backpack as a carry on...
The only time I was really concerned about my equipment was outside the airport. I bought a padded case for my lens and put that in the backpack, this way it had the padding of the backpack AND the case... It worked for me, but it really depends on how comfortable you are with the potential of damage... I figured I bought the thing to use it, so why worry about breaking it if I take common-sense preventative measures and take good care... So for me, the regular ole' backpack was good. Just keep your lens caps on all the lens, carry a lens cloth at all times...

Security asked me to take the camera out ONE of the 5-6 times I went through various security check points... At that point I just played 'cool' and told them what it was and told them everything up front about where/what everything was...That was in the US.

Overseas, Security seems a bit more laid back in certain regions, I can't speak personally for the Thailand area...

The nature of travel is often unpredictable-- so embrace the unknown as much as possible, and read up on the government and airline sites to get at least a foundation of whats 'on the books' rules/safety wise...

As far as 'camera' bags-- The cliche joke is that thieves see a camera bag and know instantly its worth stealing... thats why I went with a non-camera brand related bag and protected my stuff with regular run of the mill stuff...

Someday I will buy proper equipment- but for now, while things are just getting started, it was a necessary sacrifice...

I will say-- A STURDY and reliable day/backpack is worth the extra bucks... I had one really nice one in India and another TERRIBLE one. One of them took all the damage and abuse (eaglecreek, life time guarantee!) without a problem, the other (some low end walmart/generic type thing)- all the zippers came off, the seams came apart and all in all wasn't as comfortable to get around with... Thats just my advice though...

If i can be of any help let me know-- i probably dont know much, but I can at least relay my experiences...
Old August 30th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #28
Major Player

Thanks Jeff!

I don't think the Petrol bag looks too much like a camera bag, which is a bonus. Although it does look as if it would contain some expensive stuff which is a little scary. Petrol also make a backpack suitable for a Z1P, so that's also an option. Although there is less room in there to store microphones, tapes, batteries, etc. I guess the benefit is that its on your back, therefore always close to you...

Does anyone here have either of these Petrol products?
Old August 30th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #29
Major Player

I just realised this was a XL2 thread! Sorry to invade!

I've started a new thread here.
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home