Kessler crane jib mounted on tripod..? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Kessler crane jib mounted on tripod..?

I'm looking for a tripod that will handle the weight of both the arm of a Kessler 12' and a JVC GY HD200u. But cheap....lol

The website says the crane weighs 30lbs and the hd200u weighs 8.16lbs. So in all, 38.16lbs.

By shopping for a tripod that claims its weight capacity at that range I find myself entering the thousand dollar range, which exceeds the budget for the film itself..

My budget is more like $150-$200 for a tripod. Its like asking for the impossible I know..but I need something that has a true fluid head that is detachable. The purpose is to mount the fluid head onto the platform of the crane when the crane is in use.

I found a tripod by Davis & Sanford that fits the price range but its capacity is 12lbs. However, it has a pneumatic centerpost that I suppose will give it sort of an air ride. I'm not even sure if the FM18 tripod head is detachable. I emailed them to verify. It comes with a tripod dolly which will be useful but thats not the most of my concerns. I'm mainly worried about buckling the legs due to the weight.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=563815&is=REG

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks for your time.
Terry

Last edited by Terry Lee; February 21st, 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Major Player

What is the difference between "Two-way fluid head" and just "fluid head"? The same or no?
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Sponsor: Kessler Crane

Hi Terry -

Remember you have to consider the counter-balance weight as well. I strongly advise you to be absolutely sure the sticks you use are rated to support the weight of the crane rig. If the sticks fail and your rig falls, not only are you going to damage your gear, but you could seriously hurt someone.

If you haven't already checked out our K-Pod System™ tripod and Hercules 2.0 head, you might want to. It's a little over your target price range, but you will definitely not have to worry about it failing from the weight of your rig.

Kessler Crane® - Quality Professional Camera Cranes, Camera Jib & Camera Support Products - Kessler K-Pod System™

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey Chris,

I would love to be able to get the K-Pod System but that is double what I would be able to pay right now. We may have to construct something seperate to mount the arm to this time round.

I had no idea you guys are on the other end of the state from me. I actually live in Pekin, IN. Far South from you.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:59 AM   #5

Yeah, we're just up the street from you. :-) Understand about the budget constraints, just be very careful, don't want to see you or anyone else get hurt. At a minimum make sure the sticks you use have a spreader, for the added support.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:47 AM   #6
Trustee

I found one of these used and built an adaptor on top of it for my crane... they're monsters:

Samson Series ~ Antenna Systems & Solutions

There's bunches of old ones in broadcast out there that are being replaced.. not fluid head, but definately strong enough :)
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM   #7
Major Player

I just bought a Kessler Crane from a fellow user here. My first experience setting up my very light HMC150 on the 12 foot perched on my Sachtler DA75 legs and Video 14 head was scary! have no doubt my Video 14 could handle the crane and know my DV4 could not but the legs.....NO WAY. My counterbalance at 8 feet was thirty + pounds and close to fifty at 12 feet.I quickly contacted Kevin who sold me the crane and bought the 528XB he had used with the Kessler. I bought a Kessler Fluid head for future use with a motorized pan/tilt head and a Manfrotto 116 fluid head for manual use. I love the Kessler and will be adding accessories to make it even more useful I am sure you will feel the same when you have it up and running.
So I urge you to rent a suitable tripod for your shoot rather than risk someone getting hurt or your camera getting damaged. I have also learned...it takes practice and even more... practice.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beller View Post
Yeah, we're just up the street from you. :-) Understand about the budget constraints, just be very careful, don't want to see you or anyone else get hurt. At a minimum make sure the sticks you use have a spreader, for the added support.
Hey Chris, Thanks for watching out!

And thanks for the Myspace invite to!

Quote:
I found one of these used and built an adaptor on top of it for my crane... they're monsters:

Samson Series ~ Antenna Systems & Solutions

There's bunches of old ones in broadcast out there that are being replaced.. not fluid head, but definately strong enough :)
Thanks for the link Cole. those look to be exactly what I need for the Kessler system. To bad even the used system would probably cost as much as the K-Pod system :(

Quote:
I just bought a Kessler Crane from a fellow user here. My first experience setting up my very light HMC150 on the 12 foot perched on my Sachtler DA75 legs and Video 14 head was scary! have no doubt my Video 14 could handle the crane and know my DV4 could not but the legs.....NO WAY. My counterbalance at 8 feet was thirty + pounds and close to fifty at 12 feet.I quickly contacted Kevin who sold me the crane and bought the 528XB he had used with the Kessler. I bought a Kessler Fluid head for future use with a motorized pan/tilt head and a Manfrotto 116 fluid head for manual use. I love the Kessler and will be adding accessories to make it even more useful I am sure you will feel the same when you have it up and running.
So I urge you to rent a suitable tripod for your shoot rather than risk someone getting hurt or your camera getting damaged. I have also learned...it takes practice and even more... practice.
Wow and your Sachtler DA75 legs say they can hold up to 44.1lbs! So if I were to be out 12' with my crane I would need atleast a min weight capacity of 60+lbs! Thanks for bringing that to my attention Brian :)
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:07 AM   #9
Trustee

There are old versions of these tripods though that places would probably part with for cheap to get them out of storage... I know I've seen them laying around a couple of places I've visited in storage.
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Major Player

I found so many tripods out there for around 50 bucks that will hold ridiculious amounts of weight.

Check this thing out...Holds 2 tons haha. but look at the price.

Astro Pneumatic 1102 2 Ton Tripod Under Hoist Stand, Jack Stands - Toolfetch.com

Not that its the most practical for any sort of video applications but you can use your imagination.
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #11
Major Player

I'm sure Chris Beller will confirm or deny this for your edification, but I believe the Bogen 3192 Tripod is what Kessler use to recommend before designing their own Kpod (the Kpod rocks by the way!)...

I see these on ebay all the time...

Chris, am I correct here?

Good luck,
Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #12

In lower weight situations (5' or 8' with light camera), the 3192 with spreader will probably work, but if you are using the 12' or a heavier camera setup, we would not recommend them. The reason we designed the K-Pod System, is because the normal video tripods are not designed for the use of a crane. We never recommend exceeding the manufacturer's maximum weight capacity of the sticks
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Terry, you might want to have a close look at the Samson/Quickset tripods that become available on Ebay from time to time. I have one with a spreader and it easily handles the weight of my 8 foot Kessler crane.
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #14
Major Player

I took a look at the Quickset tripods on ebay. They seam to be very sturdy. I think I am going to go with a transit tripod though. I have had an oppertunity to work with a few transits druing my career and they prove to be pretty sturdy but I can't seam to find one that shows the weight capacity. Probably due to the fact that a transit can only be so heavy..
Terry Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms