Kessler crane footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old June 6th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Kessler crane footage

http://www.vintageracingnews.com/video/cranetest.mov

just some random footage I shot with the new job arm this weekend. Not in any real order. just thrown together.

Shot at the Wine Country Classics at Sears Point.

Shot with a JVC DV500 with a dirty lens.... DOH !!!! but actually, the dust and lens flairs occasionally looked kinda cool.
Alan Galbraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

for the Mac OS impaired

http://www.vintageracingnews.com/vid...estwinodws.wmv
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Alan,

Any problems or comments regarding that crane system? Is this footage from the 8 foot model?

Thanks,
Andy
Andy Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes it is the 8 foot model.

Problems... not really. There is a little bit of "bounce" you have to deal with. It might be due to the combined weight of the camera and counter balance... it might be a little much for the rig.... But I've yet to test it with my Sony VX1000 ( a much lighter camera) to see if its the same.

It may not be a problem with the crane, it may be just the operator.

I've just worked around it, given the crane a second to settle before starting shots, and using a steady hand (or NO hands) at the finish of the move.

The Dolly (with its rubber inflated wheels) exagerates the bounce. You get less with the tripod on solid ground, but its still there a little.

Not a killer, just something to be aware of. Using SMOOTH moves helps a TON.

Agian, its not a BIG deal, you can see a little of it in the footage I shot, but its not huge.

other than than... I've been REAL happy with it. Performs as advertised.

I've yet to run into something that made me go... I wish it did this... or... why did they make it that way.....
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #5
Major Player

You might also want to consider using something like a Bungie cord or similar for controlling the crane. This will allow you to maintain control over the starts and stops, but will dampen any movements and eliminate most, if not all, of the bounce.

Hope this helps.

-Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Galbraith
Yes it is the 8 foot model.

Problems... not really. There is a little bit of "bounce" you have to deal with. It might be due to the combined weight of the camera and counter balance... it might be a little much for the rig.... But I've yet to test it with my Sony VX1000 ( a much lighter camera) to see if its the same.

It may not be a problem with the crane, it may be just the operator.

other than than... I've been REAL happy with it. Performs as advertised.

I've yet to run into something that made me go... I wish it did this... or... why did they make it that way.....

Why did you choose the Kessler Crane over the Skycrane? I'm looking at the Kessler to get the 12 foot model (which converts to 8 foot).

Kessler and SkyCrane seem really cool and have the option to add a motor pivot at a later date.

Tim,

What did you mean by "use a bungee cord" ? How would you control it?
Andy Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

went with the kessler because of:

Price
Camera wieght capacity
I liked the design better

but really the first two... the Skycrane is only rates to 10 lbs. My JVC DV500 is about 13-15 with battery and tape.

Plus the Skycrane is about twice the price.
Old June 7th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #8
Trustee

What mode was that shot in? 29.97?
Old June 7th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Yes 29.97

(message legnthed to at least ten characters to fit some stupid rule of the message bourd).
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #10
Major Player

I have the 12ft and have not bounce, crane works excellent. XL1s,
DVX-100A, Betacam. I also built a second tilt arm that is not attached to the tripod plate. You have to keep an eye on the arm but it allows the camera to go completely vertical pointing straight up or straight down, really cool shots.
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #11
Tourist

Hey Alan,
Just came across this thread and watched your video. Very nice. I'm the head of sales and marketing for Kessler Crane and would like to know if we have your permission to add your clip to the customer submissions section of the website. If this is ok, please also feel free to write a testimonial on the crane itself and provide us with whatever credits you would like. Just look at the page and you'll see what I mean. Producer, production company, project name, etc...

If you have any other clips, feel free to send links to those are send them to me directly. Contact info is on the website.

Thank you for considering this.

I hope it's ok to post this here. My apologies if not.
Jason A. Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #12
Regular Crew

jason, check yer email or PM... I cant recall which I sent it to..

but yes, I'll send you a file of this footage.

contact me for details
agalbraith@vintageracingnews.com
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #13
Major Player

Alan, what were you using to tilt the camera and zoom in? Did you buy a camera remote as well?
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:12 AM   #14
Regular Crew

no remote.

i just used the camera. you can move the crane up and down by grabbing ahold of the camera end just as easily as using the other end.

the tilt is built into the crane design and uses the tilt of your fluid head on the crane support tripod.

another method is to mount the camera on another fluid head, then bolt that whole assembly to the crane. you can then arm up and down, pan the arm side to side... AND pan and tilt the camera on the end of the crane.

here is an example of how it works http://www.ezfx.com/index.php?option...ask=view&id=21

its pretty easy to build something like this to work with the kessler crane (or any crane for that matter)
Old December 28th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #15
New Boot

Alan, thanks for posting your Kessler footage; I'm considering the Kessler and this really helps!

Larry
Larry Rodman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms