New homebuilt jib at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old February 28th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #1
New Boot

New homebuilt jib

Well, I just threw together the website for my jib.

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg754t/BuzzJib

The jib works pretty well, but I have some things I want to change. It is 10.5 ft. long and I tested it to about 23lbs. Once I make the wire supports it will be able to hold more.

I am going to be updating pretty frequently as there are a lot of small changes I want to make.

As an aside, does this look professional enough for use on a set? I am trying to become a cameraman as a side job. Is there anything I could do to make it better besides powdercoating or anodizing it black? (prohibitively expensive)

Last edited by Alan Melling; February 28th, 2006 at 01:59 PM.
Alan Melling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Major Player

It looks good....a lick of paint and you'll be there.

One thing I will mention is that it looks like your using a theodolite tripod and i attemted the same thing and because of the light cast metal they use they are not that strong and not designed for that kind of weight. Luckily enough when it broke on me there was no camera on it.

Andy.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:17 AM   #3
New Boot

Do you think I should make my own jib stand like this guy:
http://www.homebuiltstabilizers.com/...rane/index.htm

The reason I went with that tripod is that it looked like the EZFX jibpod. Maybe they make theirs out a stronger metal.
Alan Melling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Major Player

I would definitely recommend something a bit stronger, the stand that guy made looks good something like that would be perfect. Getting rid of the theodolite tripod would Save you the pain of seeing your camera in two pieces after falling 10 feet =)

Andy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms