Crane/Jib at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old March 1st, 2006, 07:20 PM   #1
New Boot

Crane/Jib

We are working on two year project that documents the design, construction and occupation of an innovative new building.

The client sent me a link to a video:
http://www.mclaren.com/interactive/v...tirling512.wmv

They really like what has been produced for McLaren. I have never done any crane shots. This project is big enough for us that we could buy a crane like the one at the bottom of this page:
www.promax.com/CobraCrane/

Have any of you got any experience with cranes/jib arms? Which brand do you recommend? Or should I just hire someone with a crane?

We are using Sony Z1's.

Thanks,
Dean
Dean Steinmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM   #2
Major Player

I hope their building is in the same league as the one produced for McLaren. Wow.
Anyway, I saw several shots in the opening montage that like they might have been done with a jib arm rigged on a platform. There was a nice helicopter shot, albeit with a little roughness around the edges, and I also saw a lot of Steadicam work in that piece. I suspect they just rented what they needed for the shots. Another advantage of renting is that you can get an operator who is experienced with the equipment and able to get the most out of it.

I have not seen much in terms of reviews on the small jib arms. Maybe this is an opportunity :-) They are great for introducing small amounts of motion and provide lots of options for reveals from behind objects, etc. As the arm gets longer, though, you quickly get to the point of needing a remote head to control the camera, so for any moves more than 7-8 feet off the ground, an inexpensive jib arm limits what you can do. You might want to rent a jib arm to see what it can do before you decide to invest in one. Long cranes are needed for the really impressive shots, but they are getting cheaper (and safer) as the need to ride multiple people at the end of the crane goes away.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Wrangler

Dean, have you looked at some of the cranes the guys around here are building? If I was buying another crane (I've just got the Cobra 6 footer) I'd go for one that doesn't involve a tripod head.

On the package you noted they've got the 516 head listed. Heck, that's what I use on my little crane (with 3193 legs). I wouldn't want to add anymore weight to it.

Shop around. And if you do buy, practice as much as you can before taking it to a paying job! :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms