My new remote head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 10th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #1
Major Player

My new remote head

Hi I just got my New remote head MC100 today for my JIB.

The issue i now have is that I am puting a weight of about 9kilograms on the head, is it fine for the head ? Also When i tilt Up or down the using the remote & leave the remote switch the head slowly returns to the original position if I need to stop the head from tilting back to the original posotion I have to hold back a the switch a little so the camera remains on the same tilted position. Is it OK with my head.

I am not able understand

1. How to mount the camera base plate to the varizoom plate

2. How to vertically balance the camera on the head mounted to a JIB as the camera doesnt stay facing down or Up

3. I am not able to 360 tilt pl help.

Thx

Last edited by Bankim Jain; November 10th, 2006 at 10:02 AM.
Bankim Jain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankim Jain
The issue i now have is that I am puting a weight of about 9kilograms on the head, is it fine for the head ?
Varizoom site says it's good up to 13.6 kilos (30lbs)

Quote:
Also When i tilt Up or down the using the remote & leave the remote switch the head slowly returns to the original position if I need to stop the head from tilting back to the original posotion I have to hold back a the switch a little so the camera remains on the same tilted position. Is it OK with my head.
No, it's not ok. The camera needs to be balanced on the head, and if it's not, you're going to burn out your motors.

Quote:
1. How to mount the camera base plate to the varizoom plate
I don't know either, but it looks like from the Varizoom site that it's just a slotted baseplate. It sounds like you already have the camera on there, what's the issue?

Quote:
2. How to vertically balance the camera on the head mounted to a JIB as the camera doesnt stay facing down or Up
There's two issues of balance on a head like this. First, you need to balance fore and aft by sliding the camera back and forth. Second, see how the camera platform can move up and down by turning a crank? You need to move the camera platform UP so the tilt pivot axis runs through the center of gravity of the camera.

When the camera is properly balanced, it will stay in place with the tilt motor unplugged. I'm sure all this is covered in the users manual...it's remote head 101.

Quote:
3. I am not able to 360 tilt pl help.
Get the camera balanced first, then you might be able to.
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks so much to help a newbee on the Jib front. i shall do as guided & revert with my findings.

Is it just fine if i mount the camera on the reamote head with my camera base plate w/o using the varizoom mounting plate ?
Old November 11th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi nate this is what I heard from the varizoom dealer for the vertical camera blocking

"It will return to the original position if you release the joystick because this is not a stepper motor. You need to hold the joystick in order to hold the position.
If you need the pan-tilt with Stepper motor which can hold the position even you release the joystick. It will cost you a lot which we could provide too. Is not a Varizoom brand."

May be it is right. But i must hear from any varizoom remote head user.
Old November 11th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #5
Wrangler

It will hold the position if it is properly balanced.

I saw the design of the head on the Varizoom site. It allows for this. Your dealer is mistaken...stepper motors are not the issue here.
Old November 11th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #6
Major Player

I had infact tried to hold the tilt blade even w/o mounting the camera but still it doesnt hold at the place i leave it. Infact when I keep the jog pressed a bit then it does hold the tilt angle.

i wish if i would be able achieve the solution to this problem.

I would like to see my new equipment to malfunction for my mistake. thx fo ryour help & I hope to retify the same with any further help.

Are there any other Varizoom users around ....
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
I had infact tried to hold the tilt blade even w/o mounting the camera but still it doesnt hold at the place i leave it. Infact when I keep the jog pressed a bit then it does hold the tilt angle.
It's inherently UNBALANCED without a camera on it. Therefore it will not hold position without a camera. Only with a camera on and balanced will it work correctly.

Quote:
Are there any other Varizoom users around ....
Just FYI, the design of the Varizoom head is the same as many other remote heads out there, such as the Jimmy Jib head.
Old November 11th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #8
Inner Circle

opposing step motor to DC motor is pretty silly.
when you short circuit a DC motor , the motor is locked due to the high torque required. if it is not the case, this is a bad design
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:58 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi, Thanks everybody for guiding me thru the processess.

I finally was able to balance my JIB Remote head verti & horizontally
It was nice to see the camera stop where I was stopping it for at any angle it was a perfect balance.

WOAH i thoroughly enjoyed experiencing my Remote Head !!!
Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Major Player

Bankaim,
Good to see you have got it working, I couldn't offer any advice as I am thinking of buying a head myself but have no experience of the MC100.
How is the head for you?

It is as responsive as you had hoped.
Does it give fine control without any whiplash even on fast moves?
Are the starts and stops smooth, without being jumpy when the mechanism kicks in.

Any video clips of strong jib moves with head movement and camera zooms would be great to see.

Thanks, Duncan.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:35 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig
Bankaim,
Good to see you have got it working, I couldn't offer any advice as I am thinking of buying a head myself but have no experience of the MC100.
How is the head for you?

It is as responsive as you had hoped.
Does it give fine control without any whiplash even on fast moves?
Are the starts and stops smooth, without being jumpy when the mechanism kicks in.

Any video clips of strong jib moves with head movement and camera zooms would be great to see.

Thanks, Duncan.

Yes, I am surely very happy with my new MC100 !!! It very smooth on starts & stop even with 8kilos of weight on it. It indeed responsive & i was apprehensive of its such responsiveness with 8kilos of weight, no bumps just crisp stops (after my recent balancing stint).

i can surely post clips of strong JIB movement as I am due to put it on field during my Dec 02-17 shoots I can definatelty make some clips for preview of mc100 on my Jib arm (20feets height). Sorry but I dont have website or space where I can upload tghe same. Any help for the space will surely help me do the uploading favors.

Thx again !!!
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #12
Major Player

Well I am back after 12days of shoot on my New JIB. Will there be any help on how & where can I load footage for viewing pleasure of fella members... !

I must sum up saying that I am happy & very contented with my new Boy Toy !
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #13
Major Player

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/4646186

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/4646186

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms