Good Jib for XDCAM at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old June 1st, 2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Good Jib for XDCAM

Hi, I know I'm always asking about stuff to buy for this camera, but everyone is so darn helpful, I can't stop.

So...the next thing is a decent jib for this baby. I've tried the Seven XL which says it is good to 25lbs, but even with their recommended sticks, etc. we just can't get a totally smooth operation.

I'm not afraid of it costing a bit more, but we just need rock solid operation. I looked through the "support your local camera" thread here, but everything seems to be in regards to lighter camera. Requests on Google for jib reviews were also not helpful.

Any "hands on" thoughts?

Thanks again!
max

Max Kaiser
Director, Hand Crank Films
http://www.handcrankfilms.com
Max Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I need a jib not so often so I decided to buy an affordable one. I choose the EZ Jib (ezfx.com). It's a simple sturdy jib that fits my needs. You can't fold it to a small package, but it fits in my car. Easy to set up and has no parts that get bent or broken. It works smooth for me. The only problem is it's size when used indoor. You easily bump your counterweight into furniture, walls, lights etc. If you do a lot indoor shooting you will be better suited with a Junior Jib.
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

EZ Jib (ezfx.com) I use it to.
Regards
Richard
Richard Lesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

yes.... EZFX jib is what we use as well.
We have their pedestal that is a great solid match with the jib.
We also have their Junior Jib for inside or small spaces.
www.ezfx.com
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:14 PM   #5
New Boot

Yep, I agree with the EZFX jib being a good solution. It's modular so you can have a smaller version or add a length and have something if you need a bigger camera movement. It does require a good study tripod to get the best results though. I have also used the Jony Jib and while it's pretty sturdy, it's also a beast to put together, requiring at least 2 people to build it. The EZFX in it's basic configuration can be done quickly by just one person, but I would always recommend having someone assist you when actually floating the camera. A lot of folks don't realize this, but correctly counter-balancing the camera is critical to getting the best performance out of any jib. Of course you could always go with the Jimmy Jib, which is without a doubt the best performing jib system for an ENG-type camera, but it is a bit expensive.
Cliff Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Jibs

I will be receiving the new Dinamicam MAX DV jib later this month. They have a new high end carbon fiber remote head. I'll let you know!
Ralph McCloud is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms