Three new JVC 4K cameras - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:49 PM   #31
JVC America

Re: Three new JVC 4K cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Moss View Post
Craig, first I'd like to say thanks and great job with the presentation. I'm sure this is exactly what I want and need. Many forum members have been waiting for something similar to this camera from Panasonic (a follow up to the AF100). We didn't get that from Panasonic, but I personally believe this is what we were waiting for and good to know it's coming from JVC.

As far as marketing this camera, I would suggest an early promotion directed toward the Panasonic AF100 users. Many of these users are now using the Canon C100 or the Panasonic GH4. What JVC is now offering (with the GY-LS300) is what we really want.

Please suggest to your marketing team, a special promotion geared toward the forum readers of this and other forums. Maybe a pre-order special price or ??? I would make it as easy as possible to get as many on board with this camera. I'd start right here, with the actual end users!
Thank you very much for your kind words! We've been working very hard these past few years to put the 4KCAM line together, and you can see how the GY-LS300 is special to us.

We are working with our resellers to provide professionals like yourself with a special incentive. Stay tuned... and thank you for your ongoing support!

- Craig
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Hi Craig,
Any thoughts on "special incentives" for the GY HM200, like maybe some break for the HM150 users. I bought the 150 when it was first introduced and in a matter of months it was $1,000 less. I felt abused to say the least but I suppose that's just the way it goes. I am still using the 150 but am looking to upgrade and it seems that the HM200 camera might fit my needs.
I have been a JVC user for 35 years and I am happy to see JVC making a splash. Thanks.
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:59 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Just spotted this new video with the LS300, posted by CVP here in the UK...

Regards
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #34
Major Player

Wow, I don't remember how long since it's been since I've seen highlights blown out that badly. Reminds me of DV days.

Not sure if that is a problem with the camera, lenses, the way it was shot or any grading done, but that video makes me want to stay away.
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:32 AM   #35
Trustee

Hmm yes! My thoughts were heading the same way. Really blown highlights. Always hard to tell on the Tube so will wait to see it in the flesh I guess. Somewhere I saw some pics of some of the menus and one had a two selection choice something like 'Video or Cinema.' No mention of profiles, log modes etc. Wonder what it will offer for $4.5K. Interesting!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 08:27 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Was all set to purchase the Sony PXW-X70 until I found out about this HM200. Sounds like a very interesting camera for me. I shoot the occasional interview, plays, concerts, marketing videos, etc. I would like to get into Live Streaming in the future, and the built in streaming looks great. A couple questions if anyone knows,comparing the two-

1. Not a lot of info out there on the HM200, a pdf manual would be nice if anyone runs across.

2. Low light capabilities - very importent for my needs. Which cam is better?

3. For the X70, I was gonna purchase a Teradek Cube. That would put the cost way above the HM200. Does the HM200 do the same as the built in streaming as the X70? I would like to stream to a CDN, as well as stream privately somehow directly to our local tv stations for the occasional live shot. I know the cube can do this, not sure about the HM200.
Rick Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #37
New Boot

The LS300 has a very nice feature set, though I'm wondering if it will record any frame rates above 60p even at lower resolutions, or would this be possible with a future firmware update?

Any info on when it will start shipping?

Thanks.
Warren Ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #38
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Miller View Post
A couple questions if anyone knows,comparing the two-

1. Not a lot of info out there on the HM200, a pdf manual would be nice if anyone runs across.

3. For the X70, I was gonna purchase a Teradek Cube. That would put the cost way above the HM200. Does the HM200 do the same as the built in streaming as the X70? I would like to stream to a CDN, as well as stream privately somehow directly to our local tv stations for the occasional live shot. I know the cube can do this, not sure about the HM200.
The first two questions should be answered when the camcorder starts shipping, which should be by NAB.

As for the third question, both the GY-HM200 and GY-LS300 will be able to stream out RTMP, enabling the content to go directly to a CDN such as USTREAM and YouTube.

- Craig
Old February 10th, 2015, 04:34 AM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Miller View Post
I think with a 4K 1/2.3" chip (7.7mm diagonal) the HM200 is going to probably going be quite a bit less sensitive over the x70's 4K 1" chip (16mm diagonal.) which has four times the surface area so bigger photosites.

Specs on the JVC GY-HM 200 can be seen here.

GY-HM200 4KCAM live streaming camcorder - JVC Professional Europe

The other thing I'm waiting to see is the dynamic range of this new 1/2" chip against HM300's S35 chip.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Attached Thumbnails
Three new JVC 4K cameras-sensor-dimensions-01.png  
Old February 10th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #40
Trustee

Comparisons to the Sony x70's "1 inch type" sensor (it's not really 1 inch in measurement) are tough.

It's a 1/2.33 sensor with 12.4 million pixels vs.an X70 with a sensor that is actually smaller than 1 inch with 20 million pixels. (in a 16x9 read out, that's maybe 14mp??)

It looks like JVC's "AltaSense" company makes the LS300 s35 sensor. Don't know much about this company or how their sensors compare to Aptina, Cmosis, Fuji, Panasonic or Toshiba in quality. I would never try to compare them to Sony sensors though. I think that most of the industry agrees that Sony is ahead of everybody else in sensor fabrication technology and patents. At best, you can "maybe" match Sony but almost nobody ever passes them.

Who makes the HM 200 sensors? Does JVC specify? Is it a BSI sensor? Does it have gap-less micro lenses? Does it read and scale every pixel or does it skip lines? Does it pixel bin? All of this makes a difference in sensor comparisons.

Hard to say.

As far as the highlights, I suspect that it's just simply over exposed. Dunno if it was just for a specific "look" or if it was accidental but I don't think its anything more than that. (hopefully)

CT

P.S I love JVC's spirit and customer service!...but If Sony pulls the trigger and releases a new "VG 900" with 4k and that full frame Sony A7s sensor? Oh crap, that would be a nuclear bomb on Sony's competition. (and maybe a bomb on Sony's own higher camcorders!)
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #41
Trustee

Yes for the sake of accuracy I guess it's best to quote the exact numbers. The Sony 1" has a 13.2 x 8.8mm sensor with a diagonal of 15.9mm and in 16:9 mode has an active are of 14.2 million photosites whereas the JVC HM200 1/2.3 sensor has dimensions of 6.4 x 4.8mm a 16:9 active area of 9.03 million photosites. So yes to be accurate the Sony sensor is 3.78 x the size. Although as you indicate Cliff these facts are but one small part of the sensor performance equation.

Will be very interested to see how these cameras behave in the real world as specifically I really like the concept of the LS300.

Being curious I did a bit of digging on Altasens a while back to find out there background. Quite an interesting back story. Found this.

"Altasens started off in the USA as the Rockwell Scientific Company in 2000. They became well known in the video conferencing imaging industry. It was then majority owned by Olympus via their ITX Corporation back in 2004. Kenwood then bought into JVC in 2008 and then after fifty-eight years of JVC / Panasonic partnership Panasonic sold out of its shareholding in what had become JVC Kenwood. JVC Kenwood then purchased Altasens in 2012 to make sensors after Panasonic's withdrawal in late 2011. This is JVC / Altasens first real venture into 4K imaging. First tests out of Japan say it has some rather some interesting color science."

What interesting color science means will no doubt be widely discussed when these cameras arrive. I just hope they have improved it somewhat over the first 4K demo that Altasens uploaded. Highlight handlng appeared to be an issue in this example:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEo...rM2a4aHtGtbVRA

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #42
Major Player

Authorized JVC Dealer now showing the price at $3995! Looks like it will be ready by NAB 2015.
That's good news!
Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 01:04 PM   #43
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Moss View Post
Authorized JVC Dealer now showing the price at $3995! Looks like it will be ready by NAB 2015.
That's good news!
Not only that, but B&H (they're a sponsor of this site, I'll name them) has the HM200 for $2,695 and the HM170 for $2,295. The HM200 is looking mighty tempting.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 11:08 AM   #44
Major Player

There are some real special introductory deals on the LS300.....as soon as I can, I'll post them and trust me, you are going to like it!

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #45
Space Hipster

Sorry, Jim, I forget you've moved to another company. EVS' prices are the same as B&H. Good deals!
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders