Three new JVC 4K cameras - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old March 12th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #61
Major Player

Re: Three new JVC 4K cameras

From what we can tell so far, 1600 is fine, 3200 starts to get some noise going but still very usable, and 6400 is too much...at this time. I'm in constant contact with the head of engineering and they are working on getting better above 1600 and will be adding noise reduction, all through updates that will come very soon. Again, the cameras ship the last week of this month which is a fair amount of time to do some tweaks to the system........

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 01:03 PM   #62
Inner Circle

Thx for the info and good to see JVC has interest in improving the performance. It was not my intention to come off as negative but I think that anyone that wants to buy a camera where there is little known about wants to know what's good about it but especially what's not so good about it so they can make a better decision before spending this amount of money. I think it's safe to say that currently those who where expecting canon c100 clean high iso's would be disappointed, not that this is something everyone needs but it's good to know what the limits of a camera are.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #63
Major Player

wow. the low light with gain puts it into perspective for me. Looks like C100 MK II will be my purchase.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #64
Major Player

I think you should split this thread three ways, as there is cross talk about two of the three JVC models, some responding to the LS 300 and others to the 200, both being compared to the x70. The 170 seems to have been almost forgotten, and certainly, there are people who are in that market, as well.

Also, for those intrepid camera guys, a four way line comparison between the x70 and the three JVC units, including price.

All of these cameras share 4k or 4k capable cameras, but I wonder how comparable a 1 inch sensor is to a 35 mil sensor.

Also, comparing the LS300 to anything makes almost no sense if we don't understand what lenses are being used with it.
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #65
Inner Circle

Quote:
Also, comparing the LS300 to anything makes almost no sense if we don't understand what lenses are being used with it.
When looking at high ISO performance it doesn't matter which lens or f-stop is used, the noise doesn"t change.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 09:45 AM   #66
Major Player

I wouldn't be too quick to judge based on that video which wasn't that great....again, pre-production models. I'd suggest to wait until the units ship.....from what we have shot at 1600 and 3200 ISO, the noise level was less than what this video showed.......

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com
Old March 16th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #67
Major Player

If you are in town (LA) this Weds, be sure to come on out to the debut seminar on the camera....and will be showing the footage we have shot over the last two weekends (in camera and to the Shogun)...here's the link:

JVC GY-LS300 4KCAM S35mm Camcorder Debut Event

Jim Martin

PS- We are also going to stream the seminar (on Ustream) and I'll have the link up as soon as I have it.
Old March 18th, 2015, 02:43 AM   #68
Regular Crew

Will you upload the video to Youtube or Vimeo, Jim?

I've found this one today and it shows that the LS300 will do well even at 24dB! Well, at least for my needs...

Old March 18th, 2015, 07:46 AM   #69
Major Player

Cool stuff. Sure does seem like it can swing ISO 1600 a lot better than another example I've seen. 3200 gets a little soft but still not bad. I'd put this ISO performance about on par with the GH4 based on this example.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:29 AM   #70
Major Player

it looks decent up to 6400, still on my radar, especially for the price.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #71
Major Player

We are going to stream the event today at 1pm PDT........here is the link:
JVC Carl H on USTREAM: JVC GY-HM650 camera streaming live via Verizon 4G LTE modem. 720p stream via Cloud Server powered by Zixi. This demo is provided by ...

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #72
Trustee

According to JVC's website, the HM200 has "f5.6 sensitivity". What does that mean, f5.6@2000?

Also, the HM200 lens is listed as f1.2-f3.5. If taken at face, that means that if you zoom in from wide angle, you must add 18db to retain your image brightness. If the lens ramping is similar to the X70 and others, you will have to add that 18db by around 6x into the zoom range.

If it is f5.6@2000, and f3.5 at medium zoom, then this would be the equivalent of an old 1987 Sony BVP5 (first Gen 3CCD camera), with the lens stopped down to f4-f4.5! Not good at all in low light.

JVC, can you confirm those specs for us? Loosing 3 full stops by zooming in is pretty massive.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 12:39 PM   #73
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
Any chance of a replay, Jim? Pix/video/and or a recap on your blog or social media pages? I missed it.

Thanks,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 07:55 AM   #74
Obstreperous Rex

Jim -- this is good idea from Bill, above. I would be happy to host it right here on DVi.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 10:42 AM   #75
Trustee

Bill - same here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
Any chance of a replay, Jim? Pix/video/and or a recap on your blog or social media pages? I missed it.
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Had it on my list of things to do and still didn't get to watch it. Busy day. So "a second on this" request.

One area I'm interested in is the image stabilization. The JVC web site JVC Pro Product Overview Page didn't mention this but elsewhere I read that there is IS.

"The devil is in the details"
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders