LS300 - On the fence... - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old April 4th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #46
New Boot

Re: LS300 - On the fence...

Just out of curiosity, Noa - How's your off-axis rejection with your AT-897? I wouldn't mind more length if my short shotgun was more directional.

Again - So many thanks for all your input and feedback...All your posts online on dvinfo.net per the LS300 have been incredibly, incredibly helpful!
Seth Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #47
Inner Circle

All natural sound I recorded at my last wedding, except for the ceremony which where external recorders, was recorded with my at897, that trailer I posted in this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4k-p...ml#post1910061

The mike takes just enough sound from the sides as well to make it useful as a general purpose mike but still I'd like it to be the same length as the stock mike. I almost poked out someones eye at the last wedding. :)

That wedding was also for a large part shot with the 12-35mm, eventhough it's pricey it is worth every cent. Yesterday I also used the lens on a day out and that trailer can be seen in the same thread here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4k-p...ml#post1911983
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #48
New Boot

The wedding footage was outstanding, Noa! Very cool that you used that AT mic...The sound was fantastic.

Looking forward to checking out your other video as well!
Seth Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #49
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
What do you want to know? I mainly have lumix lenses.
When I saw an image of the PZ 45-175mm/F4.0-5.6 I wrongly assumed the switch as the Power OIS switch! I was totally wrong!

When I looked for LUMIX lenses for the Pocket Cinema there was one thing to look for. It needed an EXTERNAL Power OIS switch -- otherwise the camera couldn't turn On/Off OIS. The 12-35mm f/2.8 zoom has a switch. I'm not sure why the switch made a difference nor in which setting the camera could turn On/Off OIS. Noa?

So the LS300 OIS switch should work.

It has a zoom ring and a focus ring. Even though Panasonic talk about it being for shooting video, I'm pretty sure only the ring controls Zoom. No power zoom on a video camera !?!

Despite no servo for zoom, there is servo for focus. When on the LS300, if it is in AF, can one still use the ring to focus? In non-AF, I assume one must use the Focus ring.

There is also a servo for aperture, but no ring! So the LS300 is used for both AE and non-AE.

The LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. and LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm / F2.8 ASPH. lenes have OIS switches.

================

The LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 45-175mm/F4.0-5.6 seems to be a reverse design. A review states, "you CANNOT turn off the Power O.I.S. on the zoom lens!" So I assume the LS300's OIS switch is blanked-out. Correct? Which means don't put the camera on a tripod !?!

It has ring for zoom and a servo for Power Zoom by means of the tiny switch on the lens. But can the LS300 control Power Zoom? I assume yes.

There is a ring for Focus. When on the LS300, if it is in AF, can one still use the ring to focus? In non-AF, I assume one must use the Focus ring.

There is also a servo for aperture, but no ring! So the LS300 is used for both AE and non-AE.

Are there any lenses that have Power Zoom controlled by camera and by ring/switch, Power OIS (with ON/OFF switch), Power Focus controlled by camera and by ring, and Power Aperture controlled by camera?
Old April 6th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #50
New Boot

Might belong elsewhere by my Green Screen / Chroma Key results and initial testing of the camera is here:

https://medium.com/@krispii_p/jvc-gy...f61#.9h7diaxat

It was too long to format for a forum post. Also, it's flowery, fair warning.
Petros Kolyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2016, 12:19 PM   #51
New Boot

Just wanted to fire out a quick note to you guys to follow up on this thread. The short version is that due to a few immediate financial constraints on my end, I'm going to need to hold off for a bit, no matter what I do.

Luckily, it looks like the price (plus the free Rokinon lens) deal appears to be holding for now, particularly at the end of April and post NAB '16. The good news is that I'm waiting on my my local dealer rep to lend me the LS300 for weekend to demo, but I gather that he's still swamped right now so that's the next step.

All this being said, I'm not going to be surprised if I jump on board with the LS300 in the next few months...but unfortunately I just can't add this as an A-cam right this minute.

A huge thanks again for everyone taking the time here to weigh in about the LS300. Cheers!
Seth Diamond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders