Horrible Day W/ The LS300 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old June 9th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Horrible Day W/ The LS300

Where is the optimum level for the gray card on the histogram? What is the percentage rating for the gray card you used? I was thinking that we could set the histogram upper or lower limit graph markers to that point for easy reference.
Old June 9th, 2017, 02:42 PM   #32
Regular Crew

For J-Log1 footage, JVC recommends exposing 18% gray at 36 IRE, with 90% white at 66 IRE. The histogram is too small to do this accurately, I use the zebra set at 40% Top, 35% Bottom. In practice, you can expose 18% gray at whatever IRE level you prefer, leaving more or less headroom for superwhite highlights. Alternatively, if you don't need to maintain consistent skintones across multiple clips, you can set zebra Top to OVER and Bottom to 95%, and use it guard against highlight clipping.
Lee Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 03:45 PM   #33
Inner Circle

The histogram has upper and lower boundaries that can be changed. It can be changed in increments of 5%. Now I'm not sure if 35% corresponds to 35IRE but it would be nice if it did.
Old June 9th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Recording range and histogram range are set separately. White Clip in the Camera Process menu can be set from 100-108%. For J-Log1 footage, I use 108% to maximize superwhite margin. Histogram Top in the LCD/VF-Display Settings menu can be set from 5-110%. I'd set this high enough to cover your White Clip setting.
Lee Powell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders