A JVC HD7 Short filmed with Brevis at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A JVC HD7 Short filmed with Brevis

Last week we took part in our first 48 hour film marathon at the Kendal Mountain Flm Festival. We filmed on the HD7 with a brevis 35mm adaptor on the front (with the lens attached it looked like something to take out the Taliban!). The photography out of it is IMHO beautiful soft and rich (even when ground glass screen wasnt vibrating as it is meant to).

Our aim with the short was to capture the obsessive nature of climbing

See it here

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FDJqw_cZaqQ

Comments apperciated as its the first film I've made (written and produced is the fancy terms I think!)
Simon Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 12:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Sexy Rock

Very entertaining! Took me a while to realize the rock was narrating (guess I'm a bit slow), but very clever. Usually I don't go for shallow DOF, but I think you used it well here.
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 12:51 AM   #3
HDV Cinema

Wonderful! Everything a short film should be!

I did not miss 24fps because the use of DOF worked well. But, am curious if you will use the instructions in Chapter 10 on converting it to 24fps.

Also -- we really need an HD version of U-tube!
Old November 23rd, 2007, 03:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Cheers guys
I dont really undertand the 24P stuff, i understand the principle but is it really that much different from when i render out to pal 25fps. Do you have any exampls of with and without i can look at?
Old November 23rd, 2007, 04:31 AM   #5
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Gee View Post
Cheers guys
I dont really undertand the 24P stuff, i understand the principle but is it really that much different from when i render out to pal 25fps. Do you have any exampls of with and without i can look at?
I forgot you are in PAL world. :(

Right now you are working in 50i. If you deinterlace you get 25p which is the equal of 24fps. You can't record this to tape or HD DVD, but you can make 1920x1080 QT movies to play on your computer which can be fed by DVI-HDMI to your HDTV. These will look more like film. I think it would be worth the time given you are already getting a film look.

Can you post some pix of HD7 with Brevius.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post

Also -- we really need an HD version of U-tube!
Vimeo.com baby!
Also, I very much agree. It was awesome! I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of work, you obviously put some time and thought and time into it.

I've been thinking about getting an adapter for a while and your video has convinced me that much more. Would you mind posting some pics of your rig?
Ray Grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Here's 2 pics of the Brevis beast. I have kept them full resolution so you can zoom in to look at the quality of duck tape work!
http://www.sycamore-house.co.uk/Brevis/P1030095.JPG
http://www.sycamore-house.co.uk/Brevis/P1030096.JPG

John, my mate hwo owns it got an aluminimum billet and thread it for tripod mounting with the centre of balance further forward. Overall the billet and pads support the extension in lieu of rails...that he is now making.
From the movie yu will see it was mostly tripod shot but some handheld.

Everything is upside down in the viewfinder/screen but if you put a magnet over the point where the screen joins the body it flips it.
As the camera is actually focused on the ground glass screen you need to be in macro and slightly zoomed in to overcome vignetting

In post we had to flip very seqeunce and we also noticed that the HD7 chip is not in line with the lens centre!

If you watch the video very carefully you can spot when the screen was not vibrating....you can actaully see it...check out the very last shot for example...as it is it doesnt detract as we didnt have any big solid consistent colour areas where i think it would show up more.

Any other q's fire away

S
Old November 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #8
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Overall the billet and pads support the extension in lieu of rails...that he is now making.
From the movie yu will see it was mostly tripod shot but some handheld.
I would love to put some pix of your project in my book. If you can post some clean shots (plain background) and a CU of the magnet -- that would be great.

I also think folks would like a list of what parts you bought from Brevis.

What do you do to rotate the pix in your NLE?
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

You just slap a magnet there? It isn't dangerous?
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

should be able to sort some pics...if nothing else will just remove the background.
I will ask John about the parts he bought etc.

RG-I was blown away by the magnet trick but t seems quite common among photographers (John who bought the Brevis is a pro photographer). He has a little 1/3 inch diameter magent that he regualarly uses.

I use Sony Vegas, so in 'event pan crop' there is a rotation tool. i am sure there is a way to do it to multiple clips simultaneously in the timeline but i haven't found it yet.
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hmmm, interesting, any idea if it has to be a specific type of magnet? Also, in Vegas, if you bring up the project properties, you can set the output rotation so that it rotates all of the video.
Old November 26th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #12
Regular Crew

magnet...john has one he uses with his digi slr kit...but we also used a magnet from a cycle computer (you know the one that goes on the spokes)

Couldent see the bit you say in vegas...can you be more specific...also does it allow you to flip everything before edit...to avoid the tsanding with crooked necks looking at review screen

S
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #13
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Couldent see the bit you say in vegas...can you be more specific...also does it allow you to flip everything before edit...to avoid the tsanding with crooked necks looking at review screen

S
MPEGStreamclip can flop during TOD to AIC conversion.
Old December 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
I did not miss 24fps because the use of DOF worked well. But, am curious if you will use the instructions in Chapter 10 on converting it to 24fps.
Chapter 10... of what? The manual? Is there some sort of method for getting this cam to do 24p or is it just the tried and true (magic bullet, dvfilm, nattress) deinterlace conversion?
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #15
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tibbetts View Post
Chapter 10... of what? The manual? Is there some sort of method for getting this cam to do 24p or is it just the tried and true (magic bullet, dvfilm, nattress) deinterlace conversion?
Sorry -- Chapter 10 of my eBook on the HD7.

http://home.mindspring.com/~d-v-c/GZ-HD7.htm

Yes -- Chapter 10 provides a step-by-step on using DVFILM's utility to convert -- after editing -- i60 to p24 OR i50 to p25.

The process is for going to film. It's not clear how it will look when played via the internet. That's why I was interested in Simon's trying it with his movie.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series