Uploading files onto Avid Adrenaline at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old February 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM   #1
New Boot

Uploading files onto Avid Adrenaline

I have recently bought the JVC GZ-HD7 but have had no luck uploading files into my Avid Adrenaline Mediacomposer. I have managed, for now, uploading without sound using the svideo connection but the through the firewire it doesn't want to know. Does anyone else on here edit on Avid?
Many thanks for your time. Here is the latest short film I have made. I am trying to document the street art scene here in the UK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DITxW3mcyGc
Jeremy Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:59 PM   #2
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Gibbs View Post
I have recently bought the JVC GZ-HD7 but have had no luck uploading files into my Avid Adrenaline Media Composer.
I use HD7 FullHD video with Avid Media Composer. (I really like Avid's color corrector!) Since you have yet to make this work combination work for you, can I suggest my HD7 Handbook.

Click to: http://home.mindspring.com/~d-v-c/GZ-HD7.htm
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Jeremy, I can lend testimony to Steve's handbook. I bought it recently and it is great. He explains tons of info thoroughly and eloquently. Well worth the 30$.
Ray Grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #4
New Boot

I have the book already. Do I need Avid Liquid 7.2 on my Avid Adrenaline to import any files from the camera. Just want to be certain before I spend anymore money.
Thanks for your time.
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #5
HDV Cinema

Quote:
I have the book already. Do I need Avid Liquid 7.2 on my Avid Adrenaline to import any files from the camera. Just want to be certain before I spend anymore money.
Thanks for your time.
If you mean IMPORT FROM FILE -- go to the Editing Workflows Chapter and the section Indirect Clip Use. This will tell you how to import files from an HD7. Then scan down to Decode and Compress to DNxHD.

You can create a 1920x1080i60 Project in which to import your DNxHD clips.
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #6
New Boot

I don't know if I do mean import from file. Sorry, really not very computer literate. I have shot some HD on my JVC camera and have also burnt some HD files onto the CU-VD40 DVD burner. I now want to import them into my Avid Adrenaline but it is not letting me by using the firewire. But I can import it via the svideo link but without sound. Do I need more software?
I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bought this camera if I had known the problems beforehand!
Thankyou for your time.
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #7
HDV Cinema

Quote:
I have the book already.
Since you have a Media Composer you know that it can only import HDV via FireWire -- so you'll have to import files from the camcorder. The book gives you step-by-step instructions. So read the section on Indirect Clip use. Then, read the Decode and Compress to DNxHD section.

Below is an improved set of instructions:

After setting up batch import, use the "Export to other formats…" function. The Frame Size setting should be “1920 x 1080 (16:9).” Select QuickTime and click the Options… button.

Click the Settings button and choose the DNxHD codec. Now, set Depth to “Millions of Colors” and select the Resolution you want. Choose the "1080i/59.94 DNxHD 220 8-bit" or "1080i/50 DNxHD 185 8-bit" codec.

Click OK. Uncheck Prepare for Internet Streaming. Click OK. Click Save.

In Media Composer, create a New Project using "1080/59.94" or "1080/50." Now issue Tools > Media Creation.
Click the Titles tab.

Select DNxHD 220 MXF. Click the Import tab. Select DNxHD 220 MXF. Next, click the Mixdown & Transcode tab. Select DNxHD 220 MXF. Now, click the Render tab. Select DNxHD 220 MXF.

Now issue Tools > Import. Confirm the codec is DNxHD 220 MXF. Select the files and click Open.

Last edited by Steve Mullen; February 5th, 2008 at 03:52 AM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for the time and information Steve. I will try that out.
You say I can only upload from the camera? Can I not upload from the files I have uploaded onto DVD's using the DVD Burner? Do hope so.
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #9
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Thanks for the time and information Steve. I will try that out.
You say I can only upload from the camera? Can I not upload from the files I have uploaded onto DVD's using the DVD Burner? Do hope so.
My bad. You are correct -- insert DVD and use it instead of the camcorder's hard disk. That's one of the really neat things about using the HD7 with the JVC DVD burner. It copies the whole file structure.

Send me an email and I'll send you a PDF of the new version of the Avid instructions. I tried them last night and they worked.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM   #10
Tourist

hd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
I use HD7 FullHD video with Avid Media Composer. (I really like Avid's color corrector!) Since you have yet to make this work combination work for you, can I suggest my HD7 Handbook.

Click to: http://home.mindspring.com/~d-v-c/GZ-HD7.htm
are you going to modify the manual for the hd3?
Stanley Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM   #11
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Rivera View Post
are you going to modify the manual for the hd3?
Since the HD3 has few functions than the HD7 there is really isn't much to learn. So you can read my HD7 book and ignore those functions you don't have

The editing functions are the same.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series