JVC GZ-HD3 files for YouTube upload at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old February 5th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #1
New Boot

JVC GZ-HD3 files for YouTube upload

Hello,

I use this new camera for doing teaching videos that are uploaded to YouTube and other places so they can be accessed from across the world.

Anyone using the HD3, or HD7, has had the .tod file nightmare, and aggro with the Power Director software that comes with it. I have just ordered the new Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 plus that can handle .tod, it says...... Hopefully we can de-aggro the situation.

The problem is plainly reducing the file size to the 100mb limit for upload, seeing as the files are huge when downloaded from the camera.

Anyone got any good ideas about how to do this without murdering the quality of the video? One accepts that there will be some diminution in quality, but we all understand that you are not going to get great quality videos online. It just needs to be good enough, as it is the message not the image that is the important thing.

Anyone......?
Justin Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Trustee

You should try uploading to Google or DivX since the maximum file size is much, much higher. I’m not sure what it is for DivX but one of Google’s executives told me that theirs is around 1.5 Gigs.

Another thing you can do is convert your video to flash and upload that to YouTube.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #3
New Boot

Hello Paulo,

Well, I do back up to Google, but YouTube gets the hits. My videos are shorter for that reason, and I do things in sections.

I think I may have found a solution though; the new Corel VideoStudio 11 plus handles .tod files, and I have ordered it. I will see if it is fit for purpose.

At the moment the files converted by Power Director are very much reduced in quality, and in some cases the conversion wrecks the sync between lip and sound.

Thanks anyway.
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Hughes View Post
Hello Paulo,

Well, I do back up to Google, but YouTube gets the hits. My videos are shorter for that reason, and I do things in sections.

I think I may have found a solution though; the new Corel VideoStudio 11 plus handles .tod files, and I have ordered it. I will see if it is fit for purpose.

At the moment the files converted by Power Director are very much reduced in quality, and in some cases the conversion wrecks the sync between lip and sound.

Thanks anyway.
Justin Hughes,

I am using JVC GZHD7 since last 10 months! I am very much happy with it. You can use your supplied "PowerDirector 5", which is working very nice! You can convert your videos in Divx or WMV format which gives your small size of videos! And if you upgrade your supplied PowerDirectore 5 to PowerDierctor 6 then it has one feature, your desired videos will directly upload to your account in youtube!

With youtube do not expect good quality, if you upload exact 100MB video, it will automatically compress, and it becomes about 20MB!

Why don't you use www.vimeo.com or www.stage6.com they gives more space and good quality, and your videos will appears in full 16:9 aspect ratio!

See the difference, follow below links, I have posted same video in YouTube & Vimeo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWCO0xUJ2vw
http://www.vimeo.com/642155

Last edited by Kaushik Parmar; February 5th, 2008 at 09:42 PM.
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #5
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaushik Parmar View Post
Why don't you use www.vimeo.com or www.stage6.com they gives more space and good quality, and your videos will appears in full 16:9 aspect ratio!
Vimeo has an HD capability (1280x720) which sounds good until you learn that when the re-compress whatever you upload to them -- if it has a frame-rate greater than 24/25, they simply drop frames. So anything at 30 has frames dropped to make it 24. I wouldn't use them.

Stage6 seems not to offer HD -- only 16:9 SD. Given that Vimeo 720p24 looks great full-screen, why would I want bother with SD.

Vimeo should offer the option of 960x540 at 30fps. It ain't HD, but it looks far better than more pixels with missing frames.

PS: Of course, 1080i60 video can, post production, to 720p24 IF one is willing to accept a "film look."
Old February 6th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #6
New Boot

OK, well I use Power Director and I have all sorts of problems with it. A file conversion programme I have downloaded mangles them too. The play slow, or they are corrugated.

My machine has a 2.4Ghz PG and 1Ghz of Ram so that should not be too bad. I have a Geforce graphics card and so that cannot be too bad either, a 6200 if I remember rightly.

What on earth is going on?!
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Hughes View Post
OK, well I use Power Director and I have all sorts of problems with it. A file conversion programme I have downloaded mangles them too. The play slow, or they are corrugated.

My machine has a 2.4Ghz PG and 1Ghz of Ram so that should not be too bad. I have a Geforce graphics card and so that cannot be too bad either, a 6200 if I remember rightly.

What on earth is going on?!
Maybe you are doing everything right, but I am using PowerDirector 6, and it works very nice! I have Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, Sony Vegas 8 Pro and Ulead 11 Plus. Frankly speaking I like PowerDirector 6, it is very very easy to use, it dose not have more features like Adobe Premiere Pro but still I like it! I am wondering why Adobe Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas are not as easy to use like PowerDirector 6?

I would suggest you to upgread your PowerDirector 5 to PowerDirector 6, I have Divx Pro codec which allow you create full HD file while editing!

I always use PowerDirector 6, maybe you have gone through my posted videos!
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
Stage6 seems not to offer HD -- only 16:9 SD. Given that Vimeo 720p24 looks great full-screen, why would I want bother with SD.
http://www.stage6.com/videos/order:quality
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #9
New Boot

Thank you Kaushik, and all.

I have tried all sorts, but something is horribly wrong. File conversion software will run fine on the conversion software supplier's machine with my file, and the result will work in Movie Maker, but I find that some will play in Real Player very well, or in Windows Media Player, but as soon as I take that file into a video editor, be it Power Director or Movie Maker (I mean a converted file, not the .tod file) it goes wobbly or jumpy, and the audio and video go out of sync.

I am thinking of reloading the whole system.

Ulead Video Studio 11 Plus, that reads .tod files, apparently, arrives today. Please God it will all work fine and there will be no need for the nuclear option.

Justin
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #10
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
Reading the posts at Stage6 it seems their upload application has terrible problems. Also, I couldn't find any docs on HOW to compress to DIViX.

The Vimeo folks simply defend their dropping frames.

No go so far.
Old February 10th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #11
New Boot

OK, so we now have a solution.

If you are struggling with .tod files from JVC camcorders there is a software suite to handle it that actually works; Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus. I can use the native JVC file format, no problem, and compression etc is all done when you save your work.
Justin Hughes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series