HD7 looks darker than HG20 in low light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD7 looks darker than HG20 in low light

Is this a deficiency of the HD7 vs the HG20?

I was comparing a cousins HG20 to my newly acquired HD7. The HG20 rocked when it came to low light recording. Hers was in auto mode and I tried recording mine in auto mode, but it came out crappy... the setting was in low light while playing a video game.

is there anything you all need to know from me as I am a newbie when it comes to this.

right now I'm at a loss for answers.

however, I have not checked the Steve Mullen book either at this point. I hope to soon.

best regards.
Mark Cinense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cinense View Post
Is this a deficiency of the HD7 vs the HG20?

I was comparing a cousins HG20 to my newly acquired HD7. The HG20 rocked when it came to low light recording. Hers was in auto mode and I tried recording mine in auto mode, but it came out crappy... the setting was in low light while playing a video game.

is there anything you all need to know from me as I am a newbie when it comes to this.

right now I'm at a loss for answers.

however, I have not checked the Steve Mullen book either at this point. I hope to soon.

best regards.
Let me tell you, HD7 is really good performer in low light condition! Just see you have put "Auto Gain" on or off, if it is off then put it on you will get better light. Or maybe you can put your camera in manual settings and adjust all functions!

So now can you tell you have put "Auto Gain" on or off?

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Kaushik,

AGC Gain up is on. It was when I was filming last night. Does the video have to look choppy to get the brighter picture?

best regards,
Mark Cinense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #4
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Kaushik,

AGC Gain up is on. It was when I was filming last night. Does the video have to look choppy to get the brighter picture?

best regards,
Not sure what you mean by choppy? The HG20 is almost 3 years newer which means one expects significant progress in technology over this period.

So today we get 120GB while in the past one only got 60GB.

The Canon gives you a single CMOS chip which is much more sensitive to light than 3 CCDs. BUT, shoot a fast moving object or flash bulbs going off or lightning and the Canon will have nasty rolling-shutter "wobble." CCDs will look fine!

So progress improves many things, but sometimes it creates a new problems. Another example -- no real manual controls on the Canon. Oh, and no View Finder unless you buy the more expensive HG21.

PS: DVINFO has tons of posts on rolling shutter.
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

So do I have to correct how dark the video looks in post in order to get a decent viewable video footage?
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
So do I have to correct how dark the video looks in post in order to get a decent viewable video footage?
"AGC" must be on while shooting in dark or night, and yet your videos are dark then I do not know what is problem.

I have captured some lowlight condition videos maybe you have gone through, here is one link if you wish to see it: Ahmedabad, Diwali Night 2008 on Vimeo

And if you can upload your video so here others can see it.

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If you want to shoot the hd7 in low light, set the shutter at 1/30 and open the iris wide open. Don't forget to do a white balance either.
John Joyner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series