HD7 Screen Dead - Found the reason why.. (pics) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old October 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #16
Regular Crew

the ilink (firewire) setup is specifically for dubbing

USB works only as file transfer and with JVC's own software

if you want to use the imovie 09 method you 100% need a firewire cable
Marty Mulholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:41 AM   #17
Trustee

Fire Wire cable

Thanks for the answer Marty.

What really irks me is I thought I brought my Fire Wire cable along but apparently it didn't get packed so I'll have to buy another one and they aren't cheap. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy another one.

Before viewing this thread just prior I saw another thread that went something to the tune of "And another aussi joins the forum", or something like that. I couldn't resist and went to post an experience I had with a bunch of Aussis in New Zealand, South Island, and had it all written then hit Submit Reply and it got "lost". Maybe when I have more time I'll re-write it but sometimes when you put things in writing some people take it differently than when you speak it., so maybe I won't after all.

I'll work on trying to find a fire wire so I can go to the next step with this.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #18
Trustee

Made real progress on this Project video

Marty - this is an update. The good news is that progress has been made. I bought a FireWire cable the day before yesterday and transferred some Project (in iMovie '09 terms) video files to the computer.

For info, I believe the video files were taken in 1440cbr although I don't remember it saying so anywhere. A subsequent video I took a few days ago definitely had "1440cbr" in a little red box on the flip-out viewfinder.

Anyway, going back to the "Project" video, I edited it complete with transitions between clips and titles. The whole thing is now sitting on my MacBook hard drive. That's the good news. Well, maybe *kinda* good news. It's filling up my hard drive! and to me that's bad news.

There are a couple things I'd like to do:
1) Get the darn thing OFF my computer's hard drive and, say, onto a Passport drive (I've got a 500GB one available), and,
2) Get it off the camera's hard drive.

It would be nice to transfer or copy it to the Passport drive with all the associated files so, just in case, I may be able to edit it some more later on, but that's not a must-do criteria. It's more important to clear up space on the computer's HD because I've got another video to work on.

The video "Project" file is a *.m4v file. Need to keep trying to use the iMovie terminology.

One other thing. The Project video resolution on my screen didn't look like the sharpest in the world. Don't know if that is the way it is supposed to be or if somehow the video got degraded. I was going to "Export" the file and it gave a list of options, including one which was highlighted at 960 x 540. Don't know if this was a "default" size or whether it was highlighted because of something else, like that's what the video is in. Everything I've been taking up until just recently has been FHD. The camera is now set for 1440 and I believe this is what the video was taken in.

What would be your suggestions from here - especially in getting the files off the computer and camera?

Thanks.

I'm ready to go forward!
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series