HD7 Screen Dead - Found the reason why.. (pics) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old June 7th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD7 Screen Dead - Found the reason why.. (pics)

So the screen had been flickering and tonight gave up the ghost completely... this is a HUGE bummer on this camera as it relies on the screen to get through the menu system

first, an establishing shot (i've heard they are important)

And the culprit, the flat wiring has gotten tight from HEAPS of use and started to snag on the swivel mechanism, its hard to see from that shot but the tear goes into the first 3 conductors...

not sure what step to take next, i'm guessing i need to find the local JVC repair guys as i doubt i'll be able to find this part myself
Marty Mulholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Marty...............

Yep, that's toast alright.

Can't see any realistic way (of repairing it) but getting JVC to replace the connector strip, tho' if the camera is still within warranty, I'd re - assemble and deny all knowledge if they ask.

Exceedingly brave of you to dismantle it in the first place, good on ya mate!

Don't think any NZ No. 2 fence wire is going to be much help in the circumstances. Shame, we use it for fixing everything else here.

Good luck.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If it's anything like the Sony part, should be about $25, and since you're already stripped down to bones, the remaining labor shouldn't be a big problem.

Common failure point, flexible cable that just gives way and breaks some or all of the connections.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Camera is well and truly out of warranty, it was purchased the first few weeks they were available in Aus. I bought it off a friend so he could upgrade to HM100 (which i'm also looking at doing)

I've disassembled a lot of electronic equipment having worked repairs on computers and in electronic shops over the years - that said i'm not technically 'qualified' by anyone to do it.

Interesting experience at the repair place today. The Lady at the desk said that they don't normally sell parts direct to customers as they have to warrant the parts. She said she'll look into it and was perfectly nice. Then a younger guy who was listening to this conversation and asked me "if i was a technician" and "did i really pull it apart?"

he didn't seem too impressed but i wasn't going to start a competition there, i just hope the part isn't stupidly expensive!

now that i know how it's put together i could quite confidently replace the part

one interesting thing that he DID say was that they can calibrate everything on the camera... I'm not sure if i'm totally sold on that... anyone got any ideas what exactly it is they could calibrate?
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Marty -
There are probably calibrations and adjustments if you have the service manual (you might want to find one if you keep the cam - I've found them for Sony cams on eBay), but normally aren't done unless you're dealing with the lens/CCD block or maybe the tape mech.

Like anything else, if you have the time, tools, and skills, you CAN work on your own stuff (and when the cost of repair exceeds replacement cost, the "risk" is minimal). I prefer to "DIY", as I know it gets done right, but it's not always successful, and sometimes may be less than economical. I happen to have "the knack", and generally don't worry about that silly "no user serviceable parts inside" label, but I realize that not everyone shares that! Then again I was taking stuff apart (and mostly re-assembling...) shortly after being out of diapers, building model kits at 4, toxic glue and everything... etc. (and my kids were changing batteries in their own toys at 18 months... it's genetic).

I think the average "repair place" doesn't want ANYONE to think that repair is possible or even remotely feasible for "mere mortals". Frankly, they're probably right, as the odds favor that the first few patients will suffer untimely and permanent demise while "on the table", even for the experienced, as these micro-electronic items are not exactly designed for easy service! I have a "morgue" here... with a "mostly dead" section... but havent' "bricked" anything lately, tap on small SMC components!

If the repair place won't supply, try to source direct from the manufacturer (Sony has "parts direct" for us in the states, I Googled "JVC parts" and got a starter list). I don't know if it's harder to get stuff where you are, but if it is, post your progress and perhaps there is another way to get a part to you... the flat ribbon cable would "ship" in an envelope, so you may not need to source locally.

From experience with the similar Sony part, once you have the trick down on detaching the ends of the cable and reinserting the new ends, the biggest hitch is getting the new part "wound up" exactly right - at least it looks like from your pix that JVC doesn't do the "psycho-origami" tricks that Sony does - their part has THREE smaller cables which you have to fold and overlay "just so".

You've got 'er to "bones", and if you've done repairs before you should be able to get it back together with only a couple screws left over <wink>! I've taken to having a P&S camera on my bench, and shooting each step of the strip down so I can figure out where everything is supposed to go!
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Update: Camera Fixed!

well, i ordered the part, the JVC shop weren't exactly happy about it, but it was about $39 all up... and my camera is as good as new! (even though it looks a bit shoddy)

i wont bother with a full walkthrough but here are a bunch of pics for your perusal...

Old July 9th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #7
New Boot

Wow, nice job!
Dan Bentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Lots easier than the origami cable in a Sony, congrats on joining the "people who do things not normally recommended and succeed" and the "I fixed it myself" clubs!

Just remember kids, don't try this at home... <wink>!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Trustee

Screw Diagram

I'm really impressed! Like you, I'm a bit hands-on but not near as much. When I was a kid I got to take apart my parents old wind-up clocks but never got them back together!

What I learned from this article was how to remember where the screws go. Saw the screw diagram and that's a great idea. I've always used something like a bowl, small cardboard box, or the like, but often screws will have a different length, or something. The screw (and by extension, other parts) diagram idea really helps solve that problem.

I've also used a camera to take pictures as I dismantle something. Sometimes I don't get enough, though. What seemed obvious at the time sometimes turns out to not be so obvious.

Another thing I learned: try not to flex the flip-out viewfinder so much!

Nice series of pictures!

Status of my project: still trying to get the *.TOD files into iMovie HD6.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

John after shooting hundreds of hours of footage on the HD7 for fast turnaround

the absolute best workflow i've found is shooting 1440cbr -> create playlist -> go to playback playlist screen -> hit right on the stick --> open iMovie 09 and import that way

its FAST and makes quicktime compatible files that look decent
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #11
Trustee

1440cbr to iMovie '09 work flow

Thanks for the information about using 1440cbr and sending the files to iMovie '09. It just so happens that I also have '09 on my computer but I got, and was using, iMovie HD6 because it would work with the *.tod files in Full HD.

My plan is to maybe make a video that would fill a niche market that I can sell so I wanted to go with the highest definition possible. Many of the flat-screen TVs are in the 50-inch and larger size now and FHD would look the best. However, importing the files into HD6 has been a real struggle to learn. I actually did it a few times and went so far as to edit and burn a DVD but I lost my notes.

JVC support is great as far as support for the camera goes, but it totally stops when it comes to iMovie. "That's not my job." This is like the government salute: Cross both arms in front and have the right finger pointing left, and the left finger pointing right.

Apple no longer supports HD6 so that is a pain. One is left to the various bulletin boards where feedback can be slow to non-existent, and in my case, the latter.

This is my second post - the first one never got posted for some reason. Maybe I took too long to write it.

Thanks for the workflow diagram to go to iMovie '09. I'll save it because I like the fact it seems to be easier. It may be a bit of a pain to learn a new video editing program but I can do it. At least I think so.

This time I'll save what I wrote before submitting the reply - just in case. And just wait and see - now I won't need lt!
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #12
Regular Crew

G'day John,

Thats fair enough you want to to full HD, i think iMovie 09 IS super fast for editing and takes about one day to learn... the added bonus is you can export XML that final cut will read

i'd bypass imovie 06 totally as its getting old and cumbersome and either use 1440cbr (i cannot pick the difference in quality) or use mpeg streamclip to convert them to a more apple friends codec

just takes some experimenting
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #13
Trustee

Finally took some footage....er, frames

It has been just so busy lately and I haven't had time to play around with the camera. However, last weekend I took some video in 1440cbr and I'll give it a try using iMovie '09.

There should be a new term for taking video using digital instead of film. Somehow "footage" just doesn't seem to fit when one is recording using "bytes".

And all these younger people who have probably never touched a roll of film - how can they relate to footage?
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #14
Regular Crew

habit i guess... i'm from the audio world and rarely use the term 'record to tape' which is the same

it's always 'to disk'

i dont like the word 'footage' reminds me of feet
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Trustee

Question for Marty: Use iLink or USB?

So far, so good. I've got the recent video shot in 1440cbr saved to a Play List. However, getting this onto the computer isn't working.

Question: There are two main outputs on the camera, (1) iLink and (2) USB mini or micro. There is also the other one, HDMI, for sending signal to the TV but I'm not counting that one.

The last time I captured camera video files onto the computer I used the iLink cable; however, I didn't bring it with me. I forgot it. I do have a USB cable that connects the USB mini to the computer but I can't seem to figure out how to transfer the files.

In your step-by-step did you assume iLink was used? If so, I'll have to buy another one.

If you used USB then can you expand a bit on the nuances with regard to transferring the Playlist? I've got a folder set up but the only thing in it right now is 18 seconds of the computer's on-board camera which is looking at me. Not a lovely sight! Fortunately, it didn't break anything. ;-)
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series