my GZ-HD7 has just shipped.... where to post? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old April 5th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

my GZ-HD7 has just shipped.... where to post?

Please feel free to move my post.... I just figured that it
belongs here, since the GZ-HD7 does fit the description of
affordable 3-chip HD? :) Perhaps it is finally time to
modify this area to "JVC GY-HD100 / HD110..... / GZ-HD7" :)

I just got an email from Circuit City. It indicated that my
GZ-HD7 has already shipped via 2-day express shipping.
The delivery date is shown as 4/9. I called them up to
verify this and was given a UPS tracking number. However,
the UPS website only says "billing information received"
but it does show 2-day air package... :( Guess they
got their shipment in early... I just cancelled my pre-order
with Amazon and still have to find out how to contact
BH tomorrow.

I will make a post as soon as I receive it. Now if only
someone can tell me what to do with the footage. I don't
even have a clue what kind of format it's in. MPEG2....
but what kind?

Thanks!
Leila Alkadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Trustee

The camcorder should be posted here:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=74
I think the title should be changed from “Consumer /Single Chip HD Camcorders” to “Consumer HD Camcorders”

You should easily be able to drag and drop files from your camcorder to the computer.
Once you get the footage on your computer, do you think you can share it with us? I’m sure Chris Hurd might not mind hosting it for you. Or you can try one of the many file sharing sites such as megaupload.

You’re lucky you got it before Circuit City decided to increase the price by 100 dollars. Demand must be higher than they expected.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #3
Trustee

I’ve imported all of the HD7 video files that I have into Ulead Video Studio and was able to edit all of the clips so if you’re already editing HDV files in your computer, you shouldn’t have that much of a problem editing HD7 files on some editors.

By doing some math, I noticed that the 174MB file is around 2.9MB/sec. That’s much less than HDV’s 3.6MB/sec. The clips from the HD7 is supposed to be around 3.83MB/sec (26.6mbps). Hope I did my math correctly.

So basically the video from the camcorder should be better than that 174MB file.
My advise to anyone is to be careful when its time to export from your timeline.
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #4
New Boot

I actually held one in my hands today at Fry's in Alpharetta, Georgia. A very nice camcorder, although I went there to hopefully see a Canon HV20. Unfortunately, they did not have the Canon, but the new JVC was there and it was impressive.

I am very torn between this JVC and the HV20, because I wanted the rich color capability and low-light functionality of a 3CCD camcorder, but also wanted the ability to use 24p and MiniDV media. Each camera has it's pros and cons. I am leaning toward the Canon, simply because of the videos that many contributors have posted. All have demonstrated nice color and some successful low-light shots. I haven't seen any footage from the JVC yet.

Does anyone have thoughts on making a choice?
Terry Reilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Reilley View Post
I actually held one in my hands today at Fry's in Alpharetta, Georgia. A very nice camcorder, although I went there to hopefully see a Canon HV20. Unfortunately, they did not have the Canon, but the new JVC was there and it was impressive.

I am very torn between this JVC and the HV20, because I wanted the rich color capability and low-light functionality of a 3CCD camcorder, but also wanted the ability to use 24p and MiniDV media. Each camera has it's pros and cons. I am leaning toward the Canon, simply because of the videos that many contributors have posted. All have demonstrated nice color and some successful low-light shots. I haven't seen any footage from the JVC yet.

You can view clips from here:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...2Fzooma300.htm
Just remember to keep in mind that the 174MB file isn’t properly exported.
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Reilley View Post
I've gone through some of the same thought processes as you. I really like the idea of the focus ring and the manual gain compared to that skinny, slippery roller bearing thing the HV20 calls a focus wheel. At least I think the HD7 will have manual gain. One site's First Look review says "yes" in the body and "no" in the spec sheet. But, like you, miniDV media is nice for archival purposes. Like a lot of you, I'm looking forward to a full review to get an idea for handling and low light. 24p for me isn't necessary so that won't hold me back with the JVC.

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

almost all of my local Circuity City just got their shipment in...

only if I didn't pre-order! :( I could have picked it up last night! :)
Now I have to wait for the delivery on Monday....

I'm assuming the HD7 comes with software that's capable of burning
the videos to a Blu-ray disc. What kind of Blu-ray burner will work?
Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Leila Alkadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #8
New Boot

TODAY (Easter) would be a good time to buy this from CC...

While the stores are closed, they are offering an extra 10% off over $199. That means the JVC HD7 is already $1699-$200=$1499, and now subtract ANOTHER $150 off that just today. You're looking at $1350 before taxes w/ cheap shipping or in-store pickup if you are lucky enough to have it in-stock in your area. Not bad--I'm thinking of ordering now and waiting for review to possibly cancel...

This obviously also works for the other models I'm looking at--Canon and Panasonic don't have as good initial price cuts though. Pany is still $1299 list before discount, as is Canon HV20 at $1099. However, the HV10 would be about $800 with this coupon...best I've seen for that.

To the person that ordered it early, see if they will give you the additional discount (after the fact). I've found the store's mgrs are really accomodating for things like that.
Scott Muhlbaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #9
Trustee

That’s true, it is back to 1500. I don’t know why they increased it by 100 yesterday only to decrease it by 100 today.

I really wish I had the money right now because it truly is the right time to buy this camcorder but then again NAB is in several days although the point and shoot crowd doesn’t have to worry about that because you wont see any consumer camcorders.

The camcorder comes packaged with PowerDirector 5 NE Express
http://www.cyberlink.com/eng/press_room/view_1297.html
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Muhlbaier View Post
While the stores are closed, they are offering an extra 10% off over $199. That means the JVC HD7 is already $1699-$200=$1499, and now subtract ANOTHER $150 off that just today. You're looking at $1350 before taxes w/ cheap shipping or in-store pickup if you are lucky enough to have it in-stock in your area. Not bad--I'm thinking of ordering now and waiting for review to possibly cancel...

This obviously also works for the other models I'm looking at--Canon and Panasonic don't have as good initial price cuts though. Pany is still $1299 list before discount, as is Canon HV20 at $1099. However, the HV10 would be about $800 with this coupon...best I've seen for that.

To the person that ordered it early, see if they will give you the additional discount (after the fact). I've found the store's mgrs are really accomodating for things like that.
The last time I checked they replaced the $200 discount with a $100.00 discount.

Adjudicator
Erik CaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #11
New Boot

Looks like they jacked up the price on the spare battery--wasn't it about $45.00 before? Now it is $90.00.

Erik
Erik CaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #12
New Boot

New CC code extends the discount days...

Now they have issued a 3-day code (Sun-Tues) through their email promos so I have more time to linger over the JVC purchase :) If they will allow the discount to come off the Canon instead if I choose that one (at the time), I may bite.
Scott Muhlbaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #13
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Muhlbaier View Post
I just tried a check-out and its $1499 not $1350. How do you get $1350??? Worse it is only available for shipping.

They have the option of a 15% restocking fee -- which makes it an expensive trial considering that from the sample videos posted (above) one can see it has very very low lattitude. Just like the HD1. But not progressive. (:
Old April 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
I just tried a check-out and its $1499 not $1350. How do you get $1350??? Worse it is only available for shipping.

They have the option of a 15% restocking fee -- which makes it an expensive trial considering that from the sample videos posted (above) one can see it has very very low lattitude. Just like the HD1. But not progressive. (:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/gener...oid=177611&c=1
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #15
New Boot

CC now have it in stock locally...but...

I hope if you were in the market you bit over the weekend, cause they have now pulled the $200 savings. It is now in stock at my store so going to check it out tonight--hopefully they have the Canon to see as well.

Update: They do...and the store still has it at $1499. So you could match the 10% in the store for one more day.

Last edited by Scott Muhlbaier; April 10th, 2007 at 11:17 AM.
Scott Muhlbaier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series