JVC GZ-HD7 (FHD 1920x1080i) & FCP6 ? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old October 30th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #31
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hazard View Post
Is it the JVC ProHD handbook you have as a footnote link..or do you have another one specific to this camera? I just want to make sure before I buy...

The manual for my Mpeg SC does not say it even does conversons from TOD to AIC...and the option does not present in any of the drop downs. I must have the wrong version or be an idiot.

Russ
Here's the link to my HD7 eBook:

http://home.mindspring.com/~d-v-c/GZ-HD7.htm
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:28 PM   #32
New Boot

Newbie converting MS... what options should I use?

I am sorry if this is a "no brainer" question. I am very new to video, bought a HD7 and I want to preserve video in the highest quality possible - you can always convert down, but never up. I am not concerned about disk space at this point. It is becoming cheaper and cheaper, and I am not a heavy video user. I only shoot family home videos. I do understand the basics that every time there is a conversion process, the quality of the video will be affected; hence, my questions:

I am recording at FHD, and converting to AIC with MS and will later edit using iMovie 08. My specific question is: what options should I use in MS? It is a shame that I cannot post an image...

1) By default MS uses 50% quality. Does moving the slide bar has any benefit / implications? I am using an iMac 2.8 dual core, 2 GB RAM and I am seeing near-to-flawless conversion (slightly brigther, though); meaning no dropped frames, changes in ratio, etc.

2) Under frame size, there are two options: 1920 x 1080 (16:9) and 1920 x 1080 (HDTV 1080i) - Is there any difference?

3) What about frame rate, and the frame blending, better downscaling options?

4) Finally, what about the interlaced scaling / reinterlace chroma / deinterlace video. It is my understanding that the camera actually records in progressive mode, and then converts it to interlaced mode (1080i). Since my objective is to preserve image quality, what options should I check?

Thank you so much for your help!
Adrian Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:19 PM   #33
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Vargas View Post
1) By default MS uses 50% quality.

DOESN'T DO ANYTHING

2) Under frame size, there are two options: 1920 x 1080 (16:9) and 1920 x 1080 (HDTV 1080i) - Is there any difference?

EITHER ONE

3) What about frame rate, and the frame blending, better downscaling options?

4) Finally, what about the interlaced scaling / reinterlace chroma / deinterlace video. It is my understanding that the camera actually records in progressive mode, and then converts it to interlaced mode (1080i).

THE CAMERA RECORDS INTERLACE SO LEAVE INTERLACE SELECTED
If go to eBay and search for JVC GZ-HD7 you'll find the CONSUMER version of my "HD7" book for sale. It includes information on using iMovie 08. However, it does not cover FCP.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:49 PM   #34
New Boot

Thank you...

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for your answers... Do you cover exporting into Quicktime movie? Once I finish editing my movies, I would like to export to QT, and exporting is just (if not more) as confusing as importing.

Onre more thing/suggestion... Have you considered pusblishing your guide at lulu.com? I would be nice to be able to get a professional grade printout.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 04:47 AM   #35
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for your answers... Do you cover exporting into Quicktime movie? Once I finish editing my movies, I would like to export to QT, and exporting is just (if not more) as confusing as importing.

Onre more thing/suggestion... Have you considered pusblishing your guide at lulu.com? I would be nice to be able to get a professional grade printout.
iMovie 08 is totally confusing on import and export. :)

In fact, after reading your post, I rechecked both. The bottom-line is that everything must come in and out of iMovie 08 as 1920x1080. This is perfect for going to Blu-ray or HD DVD. Or, to play using the QT Player. And, that's one of the nice things about 08 -- it really is a perfect match to the FullHD HD7.

Yes -- I need to look at lulu as it might allow listing at Amazon.

They eBook is set-up to be printed at Kinko on double-sided paper and bound.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM   #36
New Boot

Thank you Steve...

Just by any chance... do you know if iMovie 08 converts or re-scales the movie for editing?

I pretty much decided that I will leave my finished movies in AIC... hoping that there is no "conversion" process, and that all iMovie will do to the clips will be "cut and paste". I experimented with H.264 but I found that it doesn't shrink the file enough to justify the extra conversion (and further deteriorate the quality) when the cost of storage nowadays is so cheap! Besides, I will always have to re-convert every time I want to distribute - burn a DVD for my folks, put it on the web, AppleTV, etc. Needless to say, the conversion was a complete hog... it took forever!

My question around the conversion process stemmed from exporting a clip using QT. I am selecting AIC, but on the current size reads: 960x540, so I have to manually go in and change it to 1920x1080. If this is the case, filming at FHD, converting to AIC using MS, editing in 1920x1080 would make no sense at all!

BTW... Another quick newbie question: When exporting using QT... There are two 1920x1080 options. One reads "1920 x 1080 HD", and the other one reads "HD 1920 x 1080 16:9". When you select the later, on the options screen it displays the following: "Dimensions: 1920x1080 (1888x1062)" Mmmmmmm.... Very confusing!

I really appreciate all your help. You are very knowledgeable.

I am hesitant between ordering your guide or your handbook. I could certainly use some help in my shooting - My indoors looks ugly under energy efficient white bulbs, and overall is very shaky. I find that indoors it even looks grainy. Also, I would like to increase my overall knowledge of video, codecs, editing, etc.

What is the main difference between the guide and the handbook? Is one a watered down version of the other, or is there some content that is mutually exclusive (e.g. iMovie).

Thanks!
Old November 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM   #37
HDV Cinema

Quote:

My question around the conversion process stemmed from exporting a clip using QT. I am selecting AIC, but on the current size reads: 960x540, so I have to manually go in and change it to 1920x1080. If this is the case, filming at FHD, converting to AIC using MS, editing in 1920x1080 would make no sense at all!

What is the main difference between the guide and the handbook? Is one a watered down version of the other, or is there some content that is mutually exclusive (e.g. iMovie).

Thanks!
Apple has defaulted to 960x540 for output. Just keep everything to 1920x1080.

Go to eBay and you'll find the GUIDE eBook and a Table of Contents. You can compare that to the HANDBOOK Table of Contents at my site.
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #38
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Warren View Post
Check out this JVC tutorial on converting the TODs to MOVs:

http://software.transdigital.co.jp/p...cbs_ev/qc_eng/

If you're recording in [1440CBR] you can batch capture directly into FCP6 over Firewire/i.Link, too.

Cheers :)
Alan,

when you record in 1440CBR and then batch capture in FCP6, does that work with FCP5.1.4. Also what do you capture it as to make it the best possible to work with?

Thanks!
Bryan Pechacek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series