New HDV standard (consumer HDTV capture) - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old August 27th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #46
CineForm (Aspect HD)

Jan - How do you arrive at 994 Mbps? The JVC camera is doing 1280 x 720 x 30 at 4:2:0 which is about 334 Mbps.

From 334 Mbps down to 19.8 Mbps isn't a whole lot of compression.
Old August 27th, 2003, 09:33 AM   #47
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by Phil Wright : Jan - How do you arrive at 994 Mbps? The JVC camera is doing 1280 x 720 x 30 at 4:2:0 which is about 334 Mbps.

From 334 Mbps down to 19.8 Mbps isn't a whole lot of compression. -->>>

Phil,

True HD resolution starts at 994Mbs at 60P with color at 4:2:2. And if 16:1 compression isn't a lot what is? The belief that this little camera is comparable to the VariCam or HDCAM is not based on reality. I am not saying that this camera does not serve a purpose, but I feel that if you put it next to the VariCam or an HDCAM you will see exactly what I mean.

FWIW,

Jan
Old August 27th, 2003, 10:25 AM   #48
CineForm (Aspect HD)

Jan,

I guess I missed the memo that defined "True HD". My bad.

But anyway you made the comparison between 994Mbs of "True HD" and the 19.8Mbs of the JVC camera and then described it as a "whole lot of compression". This is not even remotely a valid comparison.

And 16:1 isn't a lot of compression for MPEG-2. Especially on a larger image size (compared to SD) where there is a lot of redundancy which makes it easier to compress without inducing more artifacting.

Having said all of that I wasn't making any claim one way or the other that a prosumer HDV camera is comparable to a piece of broadcast gear. I just don't see the point in distorting the issue.

Phil
Old August 27th, 2003, 11:26 AM   #49
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Jan Crittenden

Steve, the ATSC standards do not have compression, they are standards within a table.

Yes, but there are standards for data rates that are used. This is typically 19.4Mbps for 1080i -- only a tiny bit more than the JVC at 19Mbps.

>>> Did you move the camera and follow fast action? Follow a skyline at an angle? <<<

Absolutely perfect -- no compression artifacts at all. No aliasing on diagonals.

>>> So you are saying that the edit is flawless? That it stands up to High End HD editing? Like that on the Quantel or even low end like the CineWave or Boxx Technologies? <<<

By flawless do you mean frame-accurate? Then the answer is YES.

FireWire to disk. Color correction, titles, FX, all work as usual. One decompression to YUV -- just like any DV-based system. All FX in uncompressed YUV domain. One re-encode from YUV at the end before FireWire to D-VHS.

Works exactly like DVCPRO25 or DVCPRO50 going to DVDs from camcorder with FireWire. All that's different is the codec.
Old August 27th, 2003, 11:26 AM   #50
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by Phil Wright : Jan,
I just don't see the point in distorting the issue.

But that is where this whole silly thread started which was the distortion that DV and the Varicam were competitive. And that is where I couldn't let that idea stand.

Anyhow this is my last comment on the issue.

Best regards,

Jan
Old August 27th, 2003, 11:33 AM   #51
HDV Cinema

I don't think anyone really believes they are competitive. Some folks get carried away!
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:54 AM   #52
MPS Digital Studios

I agree with Jan, it's too different cameras. Eventually, everyone will be on HD (I just didn't think an affordable camera would be sitting in my room, even if I have a love/hate relationship with it--just call me Mr. Idiot), but it's true, until then, go for the highest quality DV gear!

heath, aka, Mr. Idiot

ps-that nasty spec commercial at

www.FloatingCar.com

has me excited (no, not that way) about the camera's potential. Am awaiting word on Steve's 4HDV!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U