Capturing Hi res with JVC GR-PD1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old October 6th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #16
New Boot

Editing GR-PD1 materials

Hey folks,
i just want to say that I use this camera with the biuld-in vegas 6 plung in to capture the video and I work withour problems in PAL hiser mode.
Also the HD connect is very useful but no problem to edit the mpeg2 stream.
There is also Ulead MEdiastudio PRo 8 that works with this camera.
have a nice day!
Sulu.
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #17
Trustee

Yes unfortunately Apple has been less the friendly with anything non Sony HDV or Pana DVCproHD. They still don't support 24/25p from the HD100, nevermind the lowly PD1. Sad. Get a PC for input ingest. Convert to uncompressed or Quicktime or BitJazz and bring into the Mac.
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hey Ken,

I have read on the forum that Final Cut Pro has just released an update which supports 24p and 25p for the HD100. I haven't tried it yet but that's the scoop.
Do you have other info.?
Cheers

Martin
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #19
Major Player

The PD1's claim to fame is that it is progressive rather than interlaced and that it actually downconverts from HD 'in-camera'.

These two qualities can sometimes give footage an edge - but it's a three year old, standard definition version of the HD1 so ultimately quite limited.
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Sorry Graham,

what do you mean that it down converts 'in camera'?
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #21
Major Player

Look at your manual and you'll see that in Hi-Res mode the PD1 captures with all the definition of the HD1, but outputs lower resolution.

Why?

Back when I owned the camera and dialogued with other PD1 owners, one of the things we came to accept was that the HD1 and PD1 were the same camera internally.

We believed that when JVC went to market their new HD baby in Europe they felt there would be wider pick up if the highest quality shooting mode could be viewed on SD equipment because Europe had not made the early strides into HD like America had.

We spent a lot of time hoping that the firmware could be hacked to capitalise on the PD1's potential.

Here's a old blog about the PD1 here which may be useful to you.

http://jvcgr-pd1.blogspot.com/

The blog doesn't mention Mpeg Streamclip which is free to download and can convert the PD1's Hi-Res mode into many different formats.
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #22
Trustee

If you go halfway down the blog you will see a Peter Jackson (King Kong) bit by Sanjin.

"7. The camera captures video at a resolution of 1280 x 659 pixels, with 25 progressivelyscanned frames per second. The output/capture picture size starts with 1024x576 pixels in m2t file (MPEG-TS). That size can be easy up convert to the smaller HD scan line count withthe higher resolution progressive scan of 1280x720 pixels in 10 bit uncompressed file withvery little, if any, quality loss."

Why is he believing he gets 1024X576? I debated him on this back in the day, and even had Ken Freed of JVC explain that the captured resolution is 720x576. So what is he talking about?
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #23
Major Player

Unfortunately I don't know what Sanjin meant by that either.

The picture printed to tape has been downconverted to SD and this can neither be gotten around or undone.

But just like watching HD footage on SD television screens and admiring it more than SD footage, you did get a HD feel within the PD1's straitjacket.

The component out on a progressive monitor, for instance, didn't look like SD at all.
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #24
Regular Crew

>> Why is he believing he gets 1024X576?

I think this is because if an NLE correctly displays the 16:9 HiRes output, which indeed is 720x576 non-square pixel, the NLE would use 1024x576 square pixel.

It's only the math to get from non-square footage to square pixel display without distorting the image.

Many people was mislead by that.

Marco

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U