720p60 with component out in FCP—NEW!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 20th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #1
Major Player

720p60 with component out in FCP—NEW!!

I've looked and looked and can't find the right answer. I was hoping to get some help before I spend some cash (plastic).

I want to capture 60p from my 100u into my g5 quad with an Decklink HD Extreme using component out. Do I need a new easy setup that comes in FCP 6 to do this or can I use 5.2? What is the setup called? If I used 6, would my setup be for ProRes 422?

Also, which would be a better purchase? Decklink HD Extreme ($995) or Kona LH?($1599) I saw that the Kona supported ProRes, but woudln't both?

Thanks for your help,
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #2
Major Player

James,
I have Blackmagic HD extreme and I just upgraded to FCP 6.
On FCP 5.1.4 I captured from GY HD 100 via component cables. First, on the blackmagic setup, you have to set the blackmagic inputs to [HD/SD component(YUV) ,SDI ] On the video capture setup in FCP you have, as far as I remember, Blacmagic HDV 720 60p setup. In FCP the video capture list has many compression setups but only the blacmagic one works.
For FCP 6 you have to download also the last software update for Decklink in order to have Blackmagic ProRes 422 setup in the list.
I made some tests yesterday with Blackmagic ProRes 422 setup and it looks quite impressive. 1 min is 750 MB.
Good luck,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey thanks, Eugen. I didn't realize the capture card would install more selections for input. I'm leaning towards getting the upgrade to FCP6 to import as ProRes422 so I won't be stuck with 4:2:0 footage as just an HDV codec.

I'm hoping in the end to get 4:2:2 60p footage of a girl on green screen and drop it in a 24p timeline (or change in cinema tools) to get slow motion and a good key.
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Chapman View Post
Hey thanks, Eugen. I didn't realize the capture card would install more selections for input. I'm leaning towards getting the upgrade to FCP6 to import as ProRes422 so I won't be stuck with 4:2:0 footage as just an HDV codec.

I'm hoping in the end to get 4:2:2 60p footage of a girl on green screen and drop it in a 24p timeline (or change in cinema tools) to get slow motion and a good key.
if you record to tape, then capture, its already been put into 4:2:0 colorspace. while this sounds, bad, its better than 4:1:1.

as for Bm vs Kona, all I can say is I've had excellent tech support from kona where they have really gone the extra mile including a warranty exchange that was done painlessly.

if FCP doesn't have a capture preset with the right codec, its easy enough to make a new one and set it to use ProRes. Kona uses a control panel to select the input and output mode - so while FCP outputs 720p you can tell the card to downconvert to 525 in RT. what I do wish is that you could select the inputs directly in FCP in the capture window... like in the old days of M100.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey thanks Steve. That's helpful to know about the exchange ease. I know to get 4:2:2 I will have to capture now into the computer directly, without recording to tape.

So BM installs options in the easy set up in FCP and Kona wants you to do it yourself inside another window?

I see that BM has 720p60, 720p30, 720p24, and more but Kona only has 720 59.97. What does that mean for other 720p rates with Kona?
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Trustee

kona has the same matching presets, but you go to the control panel to select which input to use - composite,y/c, component, SDI, and which audio to use - analog, AES, SDI. otherwise you could take all your "easy" setups and multiply by 7 :(. I'm sure BM does the same thing. I've got a deck link SP card and recall you also select the input via control panel. no big deal really.
kona supports the various other frame rates 24/25/30/60
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey thanks. You have helped out greatly.
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:

Hi James,

The easy setups are just a way to enable customers to quickly configure a Final Cut Pro project. You can also manually configure the settings yourself but why go through all the trouble :)

Simply put, you use the DeckLink preferences to configure the type of input; component, SDI, composite etc

You use Final Cut Pro's settings to configure the capture format.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:41 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
I've looked and looked and can't find the right answer. I was hoping to get some help before I spend some cash (plastic).

I want to capture 60p from my 100u into my g5 quad with an Decklink HD Extreme using component out. Do I need a new easy setup that comes in FCP 6 to do this or can I use 5.2? What is the setup called? If I used 6, would my setup be for ProRes 422?

Also, which would be a better purchase? Decklink HD Extreme ($995) or Kona LH?($1599) I saw that the Kona supported ProRes, but woudln't both?

Thanks for your help,
James or some one else correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need a Mac Pro Intel box to be able to capture footage in the ProRes HD codec?

I remember reading this some where on the net.

You can always convert your files on a G5, I have done that, but to have the card convert the footage via HDSDI to the ProRes codec needs to be done on a Mac Pro.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 02:05 AM   #10
Major Player

You know, that's what I was thinking. I saw it up on the Apple site that an intel mac pro OR a quad g5—which is what I got. I'm not sure about the firewire transfer, but I'm told and have done some reading that component through a capture card will be able to let FCP translate the ProRes. If I find out otherwise, I will post... and pout.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems