"Gabriel" movie shot on JVCHD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 15th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Major Player

"Gabriel" movie shot on JVCHD100

Just saw this. MUST check out trailer. http://www.sonypictures.com.au/movies/gabriel/
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Major Player

making of...

Intense, and possibly the highest profile release yet with this camera.
I put a post in the new projects sticky as well referring to this article about the making of it:
http://www.uemedia.net/CPC/cinematog...le_16628.shtml
Old November 17th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I just went and saw Gabriel last night at. On the big screen it looked fantastic. There wasn't really much hint that it was shot on HDV in terms of overall image resolution. The motion was pretty spot on too. The movie overall started fairly roughly, but the themes in the middle were fantastic! It's not a quasi-Underworld ripoff, but something completely different. A few scenes really let the low budget side shine through, but overall I thought it was a sucess. The 8-bit colour made its appearance well known in some of the cloud shots, and there were a few blocky moments if you looked really closely at the background fog in some of the shots. Overall, however it was quite excellent. Definetly worth a watch!
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

awesome !
i guess they didn't use any 35mm adapter on this feature, so to get short depth of field, they had to shot long lense ?
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Ramahatra View Post
awesome !
i guess they didn't use any 35mm adapter on this feature, so to get short depth of field, they had to shot long lense ?
You don't want to use a 35mm adapter if you're planning a 35mm film out. You are fighting for all the resolution you can get on the the big screen, especially with wide shots.

There was a mention of a "wide angled lens", so perhaps that could be the W/A zoom. Although, they did say their budget was tight.

The film looks good on the trailer, interesting to see it on the big screen. Also, what sort of workflow they went through for the film out.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'll slightly contradict Oliver, in that I thought the look did somewhat betray its video origins.

Maybe it was the theatre I was watching it in, but I thought the image overall was a bit soft, and that the blacks were more towards the dark grey end of things. Of course this may have been a conscious grading choice, but to me just made the footage look more video-like.

But, damn, the lighting looked sweet (apparently they had about half the "Superman Returns" lighting crew working on the film), and while the film has recieved some critical reviews in regards to the actual plot, I quite enjoyed it.

This is the sort of thing we can do in Australia when we don't have government funding bodies forcing us to make films that are "culturally significant". :-P
PJ Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:24 AM   #7
Major Player

does anyone know what kind of budget they had?

Andy.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Brian, why wouldn't you want to use a 35mm adapter when planning to filmout? The adaptor doesn't take away any resolution.
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:59 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham View Post
does anyone know what kind of budget they had?

Andy.
according to IMDB its AUD 200,000. I have no idea what that is in USD$
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:05 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Well, TODAY the conversion is as follows, according to http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic.

200,000 Australian Dollar = 181,982 US Dollar
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Kent Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I saw this flick.. amazing!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems