Editing JVC on a PC - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 12th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cowherd View Post
Guys,
I installed the giveaway copy of edius broadcast that i got with my hd 250 and it will not work on my MS windows vista operating system. Am i doing something wrong or is it only for windows XP or is there a patch.
Thanks,
Mark
Yes, you're making a major errror. There's an easy fix though, dump Vista, install
XP Pro. It'll work better than a saline enema.

Vista is a real dog. None of my programs ran on it. I switched backed to XP and everything is perfect. Life is good now.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #17

Hi Adam...

I can't say enough good things about Cineform Neo HDv and Vegas. CFHD has saved my bacon, a few times when I was getting black frames when I imported m2t streams into Vegas. Turns out, Vegas 8a is very sensitive to discontinuities in the timecode. At any rate, HDLink read the m2t files very well and transcoded to the Cineform Intermediate without a hiccup.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #18
Major Player

Now a days all these packages provide decent tools. It's just what you are used to, that you like the most.
Myself, I'm having very good and stable results with Cineform in combination with Adobe PPro 2.0.
One rule I learned the hard way is:
As long as one keeps the system clean of tons of small extra packages installed on the XP Pro, it runs very stable. My editing machine is for editing only since 5 years. I don't install try-out software packages, updates, the latest drivers over and over all the time etc...
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #19
Major Player

Indeed. Your PC for editing HD should be used for that only. Think of it as a workstation. Sony Vegas is a good choice - but the other work fine as well. It is important to choose an editing program of which you like the interface. Since they all have very similar features it has virtually become a matter of taste.

Do chack out CineForm as well. It is perfect for encoding masters or boosting performance.
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #20
Major Player

[QUOTE=Werner Wesp;793960]Indeed. Your PC for editing HD should be used for that only. Think of it as a workstation. QUOTE]

Although this ^^ is ideal, I use one computer for everything, including trial software, beta software, internet and Aces High (WW2 Fighter Sim). All is well while capture/editing/rendering HD. I simply can't afford a dedicated machine for just editing. So if you have a good machine to begin with, you should be ok running most things normally used in everyday computer life.
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #21
Major Player

Then you should consider a dual boot partition.
One partition with a clean install for editing, and one for internet and trial versions.
Old December 17th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Or VMware - which is great for trying new stuff. At one time I had a virtual machine dedicated to e-mail and internet browsing only. It worked fine for isolating my main applicaions from Internet garbage. I'm using two separate machines at the moment, but may go back to VMware on one machine. Haven't tried capuring etc in a virtual machine but hope to get around to trying it one of these days.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:46 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I have the Vegas 8 and I am trying to get it all installed and have hit a bump. Everytime I try to install the Media Manager part It tells me that "SQL Server Setup Unexpectedly Failed". Has anyone else run into this? Help. I am so close........
Suzanne Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #24
Major Player

hey Suzanne

without trying to be fascicious, are you using 8.0a?
I've not encountered the problem, have you used a demo version previously?

Regards

Adam

ps - Merry Christmas to all, may your Christmas's be bright, and safe, and Happy New Year as well.

Last edited by Adam Letch; December 25th, 2007 at 11:44 PM.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Lucas View Post
I have the Vegas 8 and I am trying to get it all installed and have hit a bump. Everytime I try to install the Media Manager part It tells me that "SQL Server Setup Unexpectedly Failed". Has anyone else run into this? Help. I am so close........
Are you using Vista? I think this is a known issue with Vegas and Vista.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I am using 8.0a with no previously installed versions and I am not using Vista. OS is Windows XP SP2 Media Center edition. Sony sent an email and we had tried all of those fixes already. So I am still trying to complete the instalation of my software. Merry Christmas to you as well Adam.
Suzanne Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #27
Regular Crew

vegas media manager

Media Manager is a separate install isn't it?
It is not essential to have it to run Vegas, I think I remember a few reports of probs like this and some recommendations not to install it.

from the error message, it may require an installation of SQL to run the media database.

I recently got Vegas 8 but for really for DVD Architect, not to use it for editing.
I am using the generators in Vegas to make graphic backgrounds for videos which I edit in Liquid or Edius (which I am trying out at the moment)

Les Howarth.
Les Howarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #28
Major Player

Yet another Vegas vote.
It's extremely powerful and very user friendly.
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Thank You

Les, thanks you are indeed correct. I talked with Sony to see what the actual function of Media Manager is (as the name implies it is to manage a large number of media files, go figure) it is not neccesary to run Vegas. I just went in to options-preferences and unchecked the box for Media Manager so I will not get the error message everytime I bring it up. Thanks so much. Have a safe and Happy new Year everyone.

Last edited by Suzanne Lucas; December 28th, 2007 at 07:51 AM.
Suzanne Lucas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems