GY-HD100 Power (?) Problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GY-HD100 Power (?) Problems

Hi,

We have a JVC GY-HD100 with an Anton Bauer Gold mount adapter and Globalmediapro Li-Ion batteries (3rd party) We have had these problems with the camera and are wondering if it is caused by the power supply:

1. When we power on the camera, the HDV light (blue) will light up, but the camera does not power on. When this happens, we cannot turn the camera off (light stays on). We need to remover the battery.
2. Sometimes the camera will stop recording... ie show that it is recording (Red LED) but the tape will not move or record.
3. Sometimes the tape moves, but nothing is recorded...

Has anyone had simlar problems? Is the JVC sensitive to poor power supplies?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated...

Thank You

Last edited by Maxene Kuek; January 22nd, 2008 at 04:02 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Maxene Kuek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:14 AM   #2
Major Player

It's looks more a problem of the camera itself, rather then the Batteries.
If I was you, I would go ASAP to JVC service with the camera.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for that...

Oh I forgot to mention, that we have THREE batteries, and the problems above have only been observed on one of these batteries...
Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Why not just replace the bad battery
why put the camera though those issues because of 1 bad BATT

Joe.
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

What we are wanting to be sure is that it is INDEED caused by the one bad battery, or that there is a bigger problem... We are in New Zealand where there is no JVC service centre and we are in the middle of Wedding season right now.... so need the camera YIKES...!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM   #6
Major Player

I understand
sorry didn't mean to sound rude

good luck with your camera
i hope everything works out for you

JOE
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Major Player

What can happen is that if the voltage drops for a split second while the camera is booting, that the elektronics of the processors didn't got the time to respond, causing the processors to hang.

You could eliminate the battery problem if you power the camera through the power supply with contineous power, and turn on and off multiple times the camera to see if it keeps working.
Then do the same with each battery.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Joseph and Marc,

Thanks for your responses...

Joseph, no, I did not think you were Rude at all...

Marc, what do you mean by your last post re: using Power and battery at the same time? If you plug in the power supply, will the camera not use the power from the adapter? If so, how can we be testing the battery?

I have tried the Anton Bauer battery now as well, and th hanging also happens with this battery - when I leave the battery on the camera, powered off... I hav found that if it hangs, then I turn it off, eventually it will cycle through and turn off...

Would this problem cause the recording to stop WHILE the REC led is showing that the recording is still happening?

I will be sending the unit into JVC in April when we go through Singapore, but in the meanwhile, we need to limp along (with another camera to capture speeches as a fall back). We were wanting to check if anyone else had similar experiences and or any pearls of wisdom to share.

THANKS!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Maxene.................

I think what he meant was "do you have a mains adapter to run the camera from" to determine if the problem is, indeed a battery problem, or something else.

If the problem cannot be induced when running from the mains adapter, then it does, indeed, point the finger to the battery system somewhere.

That's where I'd start, if I was you.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for that - now, that makes sense... Will try doing that....
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:58 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I have tried using the Power Supply - and am unable to re-create the problem...

Now trying the original batteries - so far they seem to work okay...

What I can think of currently is the AB Gold Mount adapter... Has anyone had any issues with their Gold Mount on the GY-HD?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:17 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Maxene...........

Not at all familiar with the battery system you mentioned ( I use a Canon XH A1, so no reason) but would suggest you find a service agent for same and get them to check it out.

No idea what electronics are associated with that system so can't even begin to give advice, but there may well be a connector/ circuit problem you will not be able to find.

Can the entire system be dismounted/ disconnected and replaced by stock battery systems in the interim?

I only suggest it as the number of people running them or familiar on DVinfo will be so relatively small, by the time you get a response, you could well have reached retirement!

Feel free to give me a hoi if further help needed (no, I can't go to Auckland with my A1, I'm chockers!).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:35 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

Gidday to you down South!

We are using the JVC GY-HD 100... I have tried using the stock battery system and so far it we are unable to re-create the power issues... the camera boots up no problems!

So, it may be the AB Gold mount after all... giving that another test in the unlikely event that the Global Media Pro batteries have upset the AB circuitry...

I am waiting till the morning to ring Gencom who handle AB in NZ to see if they have had any issues with the gold mount...

There are a few people on the forum with the same or very similar setup as ours... BUT, to have them come across the same problem may be expecting too much...

Good to hear that you are chockers... What do you film? We mainly do weddings... do you need a hand?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:33 AM   #14
Major Player

AB adapter most likely the problem in your case

Yes that was the reason why I asked to use the (mains) power adapter to trace down the problem. Camera / or AB adapter / or Batteries

If it happens with all your AB batteries, and not the stock battery (without the AB adapter installed), then most likely the problem will be inside the adapter.
The AB adapter (and the IDX version) use inside an small PCB with a internal step-down convertor from 14-16V to the needed 7.2V of the HD100 camera.
There might be a chance of that if the elektronic convertor circuit has a problem starting up, that spikes higher then 7.2V could arrive on the camera input.
I read somewere 7.9V is the absolute Maximum rating for the camera.
I would not use the camera with that adapter if I was you in that case.

So swapping out another AB adapter looks to be the next step for you, after reading your results.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:48 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Marc,

Thanks for that... I am getting a Titan Charger that mounts on the adapter... thi means that the Titan sits between the battery and the adapter... do you think that the circuitry of that will cut down the spike? i.e. solve the issues? or is it still risky... I am ready to order another adapter frm B&H... I did not think that the adapter would/could fail so easily... we have only 200 drum hours clocked with the adapter! Have you come across any failures?

So far all my testing with the power adapter (AB old mount adapter removed)and stock batteries have shown that the camera works fine...

Could the problem with the AB adapter also cause problems with recording when the camera can boot up and actually run...?

Thanks guys, this has been VERY helpful....
Maxene Kuek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems