JVC200 or dvx? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 26th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC200 or dvx?

i have been wondering about getting either the jvc 200 or the dvx 100 from pani. can someone way in on why the jvc may be a better cam and convince me once and for all because i go back and forth. i edit on a mac and am wondering also if hdv is easy to work with in a mac environment ( fcp studio 2) . the one main thing i love is that it is shoulder mountable and i love shooting over the shoulder.
Mark Tarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #2
New Boot

Mark, I think you have answered your own question with your love of the shoulder mount of the JVC cameras. Since going back to this form factor after 6 or 7 years of throwing a 150 around I can say with conviction that I've never looked back.
Jon Enkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Mark,
I edit everything in HDV from my JVC HD111 on my G5 with Studio one. I will make the move up to Studio two soon. I just havnt had time. I edit for a living. As far as the camera, I like the look of a pro camera rather than the small form handhelds. I would just find it embarrassing turning up to a client to shoot a TV commercial with what looks like a handycam.
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks guys. It does have a great look to it. i was talking with some video guys in minneapolis this morning about the hdv and questions of whether that recording format will even be around in a few years came up. Do you guys think that jvc and canon will try to copy what panasonic is doing with P2 technology and that hdv will become obsolete? im very intrigued about the NAB conference and what new cams may come out so im willing now to wait a few months before i start throwing money out.
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #5
Major Player

did you mean the HVX200? The HD100 blows the DVX out of the water and the HD200 is an even bigger upgrade from the 100. If you don't want to upgrade tripods (i.e spend alot more), buy expensive ancillary support, or want a relatively longer and heavier rig, then the HD200 series isnt for you. It also all depends on what you need it for. Having said that, now is a great time to buy the 200 with that sizable drop in price; lucky you! :)

oh, and im no expert, but I think HDV is going to be around for at least a few more years- its really quite an efficient codec that is highly underrated by people in the P2 prohd camp. the jvc flavors of HDV is particularly impressive, especially when you consider how robust the image is for how little bandwidth is used. look at where sony has gone with the XDCAM EX- a more robust, powerful HDV codec that is resilient against the artifacting that presented some issues in 1st gen HDV2. i dont think jvc or canon will ever go the dvcprohd P2 route, as panasonic will be sticking with P2 for quite some time to come as they have invested quite a bit in the technology. if anything, AVCHD or intra might be the way of the future for up and coming cams, including panny's future handheld gear. either way, dont worry about the tech going obsolete- just choose your workflow and shooting style, pick the cam that feels best in your hands and go!

Last edited by Alan Ortiz; February 27th, 2008 at 01:01 PM.
Alan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

i meant the jvc200 looks good, very professional. i really think i may wait a couple months for NAB. The jvc200 is fitting enough for me to go out and purchase right now, but im curious about what jvc may introduce. thanks again for your input. I think hdv will be around awhile as well.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tarman View Post
thanks guys. It does have a great look to it. i was talking with some video guys in minneapolis this morning about the hdv and questions of whether that recording format will even be around in a few years came up. Do you guys think that jvc and canon will try to copy what panasonic is doing with P2 technology and that hdv will become obsolete? im very intrigued about the NAB conference and what new cams may come out so im willing now to wait a few months before i start throwing money out.
Let's not confuse recording devices and media with codecs. P2 is tapeless recording to a type of flash card; HDV and DVCProHD are a couple types of codecs used. Bear in mind that HDV can also be recorded to a tapeless medium as demonstrated by the hard drives available and, soon, a new flash drive on Sony's about-to-be-released Z7 and S270 HDV camcorders. Tape is an edge that makes HDV so appealing. Now imagine recording to both, tape and flash. Now you have the advantages of flash with the archival benefit of tape, not to mention a handy backup.

I think HDV and DVCProHD will be around for awhile.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I don't think it's too relevant how long HDV is around for, after all it's just a means of compressing images - the real issue would be that future NLE applications are capable of working with it. Personally I've never held onto a camera any longer than 3 years and for event work I can't justify investing any more than $7,000 in a camera.

The way I see things in the future is that cameras will keep dropping in price and we'll be replacing our cameras even sooner to keep up with changing formats & image density - not bad if you're a technophile!!

Mark, to answer your question - there is no point in comparing a DVX to the HD100, they are very different.

Cheers,

JT
James Thirston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems