Tape Glitch? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 26th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Tape Glitch?

I recently shot some b-roll for a furniture store commercial in HDV 24P. I passed the tape to the cient who then passed it on to their editor. The editor says that he cannot play the tape back on a brand new HD deck...
The editor called sony and they said it may be a glitch in the tape?

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

My friend said he has had some of his HD footage show up as scrambled different color blocks that would not play back, as if he was trying to play an HDV tape in a DV deck.

I know I recorded in HDV but am unsure of what is going on....

I am just praying that the footage is not lost!
Nicholas Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #2
New Boot

Forgotten info

This was recorded on the GY-HD110U on sony premium miniDV tapes

Also

in an HDV deck is says tape is improper format when they use auto playback, try to force hdv playback, and dv playback.

I CAN record on the tape and it plays back properly

WTF?

Last edited by Nicholas Ramsey; February 26th, 2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #3
Major Player

is it being played back on a sony HDV deck? If so, that is probably why.
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Hello
i have gy 110u
i all so had a sony HVR M10U DECK from MY SONY FX1 DAYS
They don;t work together
your going to need a JVC BR HD50U DECK
I think most sony decks are 1080i and won't work with 720/30/24

joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Tape Glitch?

Joe is most likely correct. Sony equipment (the editor called Sony for help) is not compatible with HDV 24P. SD is the only format you can generate with an HD110 camera that is compatible with Sony. You could take your camera to the editor and capture your footage via firewire from it into his system. Make sure everything is turned off when you connect you camera to his computer or you will blow-out your camera's firewire circuit.
I'm interested in why you did not ask your client what format he wanted you to deliver, since this was b-roll footage for a local tv commercial? Was hi-def required? I don't know of any local tv stations that can, at this time, originate hi-def. Also why shoot 24P? It is a frame rate that was created for video frame-for-frame transfer to film for theatrical projection . . . not for an "artistic" effect?
Good luck.
Ken
Kennedy Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #6
New Boot

Found out the hard way.

The client is using this footage on their website. The client has an agency in PA that they were sending the tape to upon completion. The client asked for HDV 24P 16:9 on a MiniDV tape. That was the only specifications she could give me. I shot how I was asked. They were in fact using a Sony deck. I was unaware of their incompatability since I have not run across someone with a sony HDV deck. I don't claim to be any sort of camera brain at this point, I can only go out, shoot, and learn from my experience...

Now I know...

Thank you for all your great responses!
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Unenlightened PA Agency

Nicholas -
Then you delivered what they requested abd specified. They obvoiusly didn't know what they were talking about. I'd send them the tape and a bill, and let them deal with it. They can always rent a BR HDV50U from which to capture your footage.
Again, sorry for your problem, but you can't be responsible for their ignorance.
Regards,
Ken
Kennedy Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

or offer (for more $$$ of course) to reshoot it in a flavor of their choice because they have maybe learned there's 31 flavors of HDV.

In fact a rep from one of the cable companies asked me today about providing spots in "HD" I <asked> him what format and after a few seconds of blank looks, he says ya know digital...HD.

oh this is going to be interesting...

Last edited by John Sirb; February 29th, 2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: brain freeze typo
John Sirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy Maxwell View Post
Nicholas -
I'd send them the tape and a bill, and let them deal with it. They can always rent a BR HDV50U from which to capture your footage.
Ken is absolutely right, you delivered to the brief entirely. Camera operators shouldn't be expected to fix workflow problems if you've done what you were asked.

you COULD offer to capture from your camera but then again that's going the extra mile, depends on how much you want to wow your customer.

Cheers

Neil
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #10
New Boot

I captured from my camera and sent him a data disc. Thanks for all your help!
Nicholas Ramsey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems