New JVC GY-HD200UB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New JVC GY-HD200UB

New Model GY-HD200UB, NOW REC 1O80I 50i and 60i

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL101623

NEW UPGRADED MODEL

GY-HD200 "B" now includes 1080i recording to optional hard disk via IEEE1394!

* Multiple frame rate recording: 720/24p, 25p, 30p, 50p, and 60p
1080 50i/60i available through IEEE1394 output
* Compact Shoulder Professional form factor
* Wide choice of lenses and accessories
* Optional HZ-CA13U Prime Lens adapter
* Built-in image flip recording when using prime lenses
* Built-in 14.4V type Battery Mount
* Dual-media (tape +HDD)recording with DTE
* Next generation super-efficient MPEG-2 encoding
* Enhanced Cinema Gamma
* Advanced 14-bit A/D converter
o Lower noise in low light
o Better highlight handling
* BNC connectors

I think that it is a new version of firmware, this firmware allows the exit by firewire to a hard disk DR-HD100 1080i, if it is certain to the users of the series hd200 them to be able donwload this firmware new
Javier Tabares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Ola Javier, thanks for the info.

Actually I don't understand why simply adding 1080i out via IEEE makes this a whole "New Model"??? They must be feeling left out over there at JVC after the "real" new models put out by Sony & Panasonic. Surely this is just a 200U with a minor firmware upgrade, hardly worthy of all the hoopla (unless you're recording to a HD100.) If the 1080i also went to tape it would certainly be more worthy of praise.

Does any one know if the new Sony CF Card recorder that they're selling with the new Z7 & S270 captures the Pro-HD Series frame rates?

JT
James Thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
If I'm not mistaken, the BNCs are new as well. THAT makes this much more appealing to me. Now I can call this a serious camera for my multi camera live switched rig.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the BNCs are new as well. THAT makes this much more appealing to me. Now I can call this a serious camera for my multi camera live switched rig.
The 200 has always had BNC component out. For serious live multi-cam switching you really want SDI & TC I/O which is only available on the 250 with a sticker price just shy of $11,000.00
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've gone through the specifications & technical data on the JVC site and based on the info they've provided the only thing different I can find between the old and revised model is the following statement:

" For shooters requiring 1080i, an encoded 25Mbps (HDV2) signal can be output through the IEEE1394 interface for recording to an external device such as the DRHD100GB100. It is not possible to record 1080i to tape. "

See:
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/t...&feature_id=02

JT
Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Major Player

I think this is very important upgrade to the camera and definitely worth the new designation. The fact that it records the 1080i signal allows it to mix in with a lot of other productions, regardless of the fact that it's not to tape. The bulk of hd cameras out there are 1080i so this is a big step. I applaud jvc for moving in this direction with their equipment and offering these types of options.

I like that fact that they focus of the use of the hard disk recorder and I think that's a good move.

I hope this helps them to sell some units at NAB over the next couple weeks.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:13 PM   #7
New Boot

I have a gy hd 250chu but i have shot very little in hd since i got the cam a year ago. The company I do work for isnt ready for hd yet but they might in the future. They purchased Canon xl-h1s for their shooters. A question, will the hd 250 output to the jvc external hard drive in 1080i also?
Also, how do the jvc gy HD 250 w 17x lens compare to Canon XL-h1 with 20x lens.
Thanks
Mark Cowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:19 PM   #8
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Thirston View Post
" For shooters requiring 1080i, an encoded 25Mbps (HDV2) signal can be output through the IEEE1394 interface for recording to an external device such as the DRHD100GB100. It is not possible to record 1080i to tape. "
T
OK -- where does the 1440x1080 signal come from?

The chips are 1280x720 -- and pixel shift is not used.
Is this an up-scale of 720p50 and 720p60? Which would mean the resolution remains the same as 720p50 and 720p60 and only the number of pixels carrying detail changes.

At the same time -- each frame is output at two fields.

Thus, the recorded 25Mbps is 1440x1080 with 50 or 60 fields that have no interlace artifacts. Why would we want this signal?

I'm not sure we would. But, the news organizations have been buying tons of 250's with the Focus recorder. Someone must be very interested in using 1080i in their newsroom. This gives them a way to do this. Now their HD NLE's (Avid?) will have a signal that can be used as is.

How does the Focus recorder deliver HD-SDI?

And, if the DSP can create 1080i -- how much harder would it be to modify the VTR to record both HD1 and HD2. And, then output via HD-SDI. To be announced at NAB for later delivery?
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:06 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cowherd View Post
A question, will the hd 250 output to the jvc external hard drive in 1080i also?
Also, how do the jvc gy HD 250 w 17x lens compare to Canon XL-h1 with 20x lens.
Thanks
Mark, looking at the JVC site they only seem to have introduced this feature in the 200U. If they want to be really good sports then they should make this 1080i improvement available to us users as a firmware upgrade (as I understand it both the 200 & 250 are essentially the same camera barring the additional HD-SDI & TC I/O on the 250.)

I don't know how good the 17x lens is but surely it can't be as bad as the stock fuj glass so it should compare very well to the Canon (keep in mind even though the Canon has a 1440x1080 imager.

JT
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:17 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
OK -- where does the 1440x1080 signal come from?

The chips are 1280x720 -- and pixel shift is not used.
Is this an up-scale of 720p50 and 720p60? Which would mean the resolution remains the same as 720p50 and 720p60 and only the number of pixels carrying detail changes.

At the same time -- each frame is output at two fields.
I think that's something that should be asked of the reps at NAB for sure. If I had to guess I'd say they probably do like you said and just cross convert the 720 signal. I don't see any other way. Still, it has to make life a lot easier for people who need to output in 1080i or intermix with 1080i footage because you save the step of converting everything in post.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:40 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn View Post
I think that's something that should be asked of the reps at NAB for sure. If I had to guess I'd say they probably do like you said and just cross convert the 720 signal. I don't see any other way. Still, it has to make life a lot easier for people who need to output in 1080i or intermix with 1080i footage because you save the step of converting everything in post.
So if it's merely upconverting can't that just be done in post?

So far this a big disappointment.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:03 AM   #12
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Mark, looking at the JVC site they only seem to have introduced this feature in the 200U.
I missed the "only 200." Which suggests that perhaps this is a preemptive message to the 200 owners that they shouldn't be unhappy if there is a new hi-end JVC announced.

Perhaps there will be a 250B or 270 that will record 1080i. Or, have 1440x1080 chips which could record all 720p formats plus all 1080i formats.

Remember the JVC 7000 that was to do both 720p and 1080i and use CMOS chips? Could JVC be going to buy 1/3-inch EXMOR chips? Perhaps there will be a 500 as well.

Didn't someone post there were no 250s available?

Is the 200 built on the 110 chassis or the 250 chassis?
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:33 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
So if it's merely up-converting can't that just be done in post?

The JVC marketing department must have been hounding their developers to come up with something new to compete with the other manufacturers. Which could explain why they are advertising it on their web as "New Model". Unless Steve Mullen or one of the other gurus on this board can come up with why there is any difference to working with the 720P and up-scaling at render, I don't think we should be breaking out the Moet Chandon just yet.

Steve, the 200 uses the same chassis & power arrangement as the 250.

JT
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:08 AM   #14
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Steve, the 200 uses the same chassis & power arrangement as the 250.

JT
Then why not a 250B? I'll bet the 250B gets a new transport that records 1080i. Plus HD-SDI.

There are practical reasons to record an HD2 to tape -- a cassette that can be read on Sony and Pana VTRs. This is useful for news orgs.

Because the 250 can be used in the studio -- 1080i HD-SDI output is critical.

So the independent get his/her 1080i via FireWire. The 250 buyer gets 1080i tapes and HD-SDI.

I'm hoping for a $3,600 to $4900 held-hand camcorder.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:37 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
So if it's merely upconverting can't that just be done in post?

If it is only uprezzing from 1280x720p to I assume 1440x1080i then it saves a weird but minor step in Avid MC/Xpress. I would more interested if they came out with a solid state recording option. Overall, I agree with Brian, not really a big deal to me.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems