Avid will fully support ProHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #1
Wrangler

Avid will fully support ProHD

I was looking through my NAB notes and realized that no one noticed this pretty big bit of news.

Here's the JVC press release: http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2008/nab/avid.html

I was seated at the same table as a couple of Avid/Digidesign guys during the JVC press event and they told me that it all seems to work well together in the new version. ETA is sometime in the summer (from memory not notes, so please don't quote me on that.)
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #2
JVC America

It was very exciting to have an Avid system in our NAB booth, working at all frame rates over firewire, from tape or DRHD100 drive.
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #3
HDV Cinema

It will be in V3.0 of Media Composer -- the one that will run on 10.5. Due in June 2008.

Now here's a worry I have. This will not be a point release meaning it's not an "update." It's an "upgrade" which will cost $$$.

Frankly, this update to the HDV codec is so small and soooo late, that it really should be a separate download.

Avid will no doubt claim they just don't have time to check the codec with "old" systems. While this is true -- it's true only because they waited almost 3 years to modify the codec. It certainly could and should have been a year ago.

Somehow pressure needs to be applied to Avid to make the codec a simple download to V2.x users.
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Where the heck is 24F support from Avid, is what I'd like them to answer.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Steve,

Depending on when you purchased MC, the upgrade to 3.0 will have a reasonable upgrade cost. Avid hasn't named the grandfather date, but typically it's from the time of anounce minus 30 or 60 days. So folks who purchased recently have a good shot at the upgrade being a free download (or nominal cast with docs).

As for longer owners of the software, I think that while the upgrade will have some cost, it will be significantly below the current $495 upgrade to MC for X Pro owners which will run at least into the summer. So my guess would be in the $300 range.

This is not for certain, just based on my conversations at NAB.

As for MC 3.0, you will be getting far more then just JVC Pro HD support. The demonstrations at NAB were very impressive. The software becomes multi-threaded and GPU aware. This means it will farm our tasks to all cores and the GPU itself, giving you a big boost in performance and handling - especially with HD footage. It will have both Leopard and Vista support. It will even run under Vista 64, not as a native 64 bit app, but it will let you access huge amounts of RAM.

They've also added some nice user features such as the ability to move stacks of clips together. The responsiveness of the timeline and keyboard controlls are tight.

All MC owners will find the next version a must have upgrade.

Gary
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks View Post
It was very exciting to have an Avid system in our NAB booth, working at all frame rates over firewire, from tape or DRHD100 drive.
It would have been exciting three years ago.

Given the hoops we've had to jump through to get this camera working in a professional work-flow I find it quite disingenuous that Avid and JVC should choose now to have this love-in. The party's over, it finished a long time ago and no exclamations of "excitement" will make me think otherwise.
Old April 19th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Better late than never I say. I've vented, shown frustration, and been completey hacked off at Avid. But now that's over.

I'm glad I held on to my HD 100a. I've been through a lot with that camera over the last 2+ years. Funky Avid nonworking workflows, forcing me to learn FCP (which had it benefits), Avid Liquid for 24p and figuring out the funky 720/30p to 30i/1080i open bin dance in Xpress. Dead pixel issues which were fixed by JVC in a very customer oriented way. And so on. But that's in the past.

I just got back from shooting with it today and it stills looks good. I've been shooting some with a Canon XHA1 with my NASA client (their camera not mine) and while it looks very sharp, I really find my JVC looking still more filmic with better color rendition.

Finally, I can edit HDV 24p in Media Composer with my ole camera. Several times I thought about selling my 100a but now I'm glad I didn't.

June can't get here fast enough.

Cheers.
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #8
Regular Crew

AVID has abandoned us once again...

Anyone else furious about the fact that Avid only supports the 250 camera in Media Composer 3.0? Once again, they have not followed through with promises. Doesn't it worry JVC that their camera has been left in the dust again and again by Avid? I feel totally ignored by the arrogance of a company who deems my camera as a low priority for them. They're shooting major motion pictures with this thing, isn't that enough for them?

Does anyone have any insider info about whether they are done with this 100 and 200 camera's or if they have plans to finally come through with support it in the very near future?
Taylor Brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #9
Major Player

What do you mean Avid MC 3 only supports JVC HD 250? It supports the 100, 110, and 200 as well as 250. It has supported 30p for some time now.

Are you referring to HDSDI injest vs firewire? I've tested 24p and 30p via 1394 with my JVC 100a and had no issues whatsoever. It works great. And if your saying the 250 works then I'm assuming that 60p works.

As far i as can tell, it supports 24p, 30p, and 60p. Before 3.0 you could only do direct firewire digitize of 30p.

Where are you getting this info???
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #10

I can confirm that MC3.0 will import 24p m2t from my HD110 as recorded onto an FS4HD.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Not that simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
What do you mean Avid MC 3 only supports JVC HD 250? It supports the 100, 110, and 200 as well as 250. It has supported 30p for some time now.
According to the new Avid Knowledge Base info they ARE claiming support for the 200 camera and all the HDV frame rates...

http://tinyurl.com/5k65c2

However, if you click on the 200 or scroll down that page to the 200 camera you'll see the camera firmware version requirements (and other info concerning audio and video capture offset), then you plug in your camera versions to see if you can get/need the firmware upgrade, here...

http://support.jvc.com/pro/firmwareu...serieslist.jsp

I own a 200U purchased in 2007. I tried plugging in my firmware version numbers and keep getting the message...

"We are unable to determine current version of software you have. Click here to go back and try again."

Avid customer service referred me to JVC about this. I have sent an email to JVC and am currently waiting for a reply.
Jeff Cerar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #12
Major Player

So it's a firmware change/conflict on the 200 where JVC changed a few things. That's not Avid's fault. Like I said before it works fine for me on my camera and it's a far cry better situation with ProHD than before.

Cheers.
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #13
Regular Crew

David:

Last week on Avid's page I read that there was support only for the 250 and specifically said that MC 3.0 does not support the 110 or the 200. Now that I want to find that page again, I'm having trouble... On Avid's forum, there is a whole page dedicated to it: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/59633.aspx

If this is not the case, then great.

From Avid employee Bob Russo on 11 June, 2008: "Avid Engineering found some issues with the other JVC camera models. Most notably they do not shoot audio and video in sync; the video and audio are off by a certain number of frames depending on the project type. Because of this, only the GY-HD250 is supported at this point.

Additional work is being done to try to add support the other JVC cameras."

If this is wrong or it has been fixed great. I think I may have a workaround, though, so I might just go ahead and purchase Avid anyway. I guess I'm still in the dark.

Taylor
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Investigating furthur, Avid says that the firmware must be updated to:
"the latest version:
SYS CPU C1692 V0109
CAM CPU C1693 V0109
VTR CPU C1694 V424A
ENC CPU C1703
V0103
SD CPU C1695 V0101
SD BOOT C1714
V0100
FPGA5 C1696 V0107
FPGA6 C1697 V0104
FPGA7 C1698 V0101"

My version on my 200U says:

SYS CPU C1720 V0100
CAM CPU C1693 V0106
VTR CPU C1722 V0101
ENC CPU C1703
V0102
SD CPU C1723 V0100
SD BOOT C1724 V0100
FPGA5 C1696 V0104
FPGA6 C1697 V0102
FPGA7 C1698 V0101

When I go to the updating page and enter the info exactly like it says to, I get the message that says they cannot determine my firmware blah, blah, blah...

The ones who have this working, do you have it updated to the firmware Avid mentions, and how do I get the updater to give me the right version?

Taylor
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #15
New Boot

Old news

Same story - different date.

Avid and NAB made this announcement back in 2005.

I have used the 100 thru to the 200... as well as the HD50.... Avid has listed they support the devices, but there is audio/video sync drift. How can you say you support these devices if they don't actually work correctly?
Patrick Synnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems