Captured in HDv... now what? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Captured in HDv... now what?

I recently shot a project on my JVC HD100 in HDV 24p. Unfortunately, I have a blown bus port and cannot use my HD100 to capture in PP2. I've been banging my head thinking of all the possible ways I could do this outside of buying a deck, which is financially out of the question right now.

The options I have in front of me right now are to:

-Capture in Avid or FCP. My question is, will PP accept the Avid- or FCP-captured files and allow me to edit them.

-Rent a deck or camera to ingest. I can't find anyone around me that rents HD100s, so my question with this method is, will a Sony or Panasonic HDV camera recognize the JVC HDV footage and allow me to capture?

I have an old Sony TRV25, which I've tried to capture with, but because it's just a regular DV camera, I don't think it recognizes the HDV footage.

Please help. I'm banging my head off the desk trying to figure this out. Thank you.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Trustee

FCP understands only Quicktime so the files that it captures are actually QT movies. They might lack the .mov extension. Just add it and you're in business with Premiere.
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Hopefully Paolo's answer supplies the solution, although your problem isn't really clear to me. The blown port is on your camera? Then no system can capture via FW. If it's your PC that has a blown port, and you have access to a mac, then using that's your best approach.

For the record (and it's well documented here), Your 720 24p JVC tapes will not work on any other manufacturer's units including other HDV cameras.
30p footage will work on the 1st generation prosumer JVC HDV cameras, and reportedly, the Sony GV-HD700 HDV Video Walkman VCR.

I'm not sure what you're thinking about with your DV camera? There's something fundamental here you'd best take the time to research and completely understand yourself. (tape same, everything else different).

If renting a camera/deck (assuming that has the bad fw) doesn't pan out, look at sending your tapes and a fw drive to someone to capture the material. Depending on the amount of material, (if short the clips could even go on data dvd's) and who does it, this could be the most practical and cheapest solution.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems