some problems with viewfinder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 18th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #1
New Boot

some problems with viewfinder

Hi, I just bought JVC HD200E and I'm testing it now, but after one week I still have a problems with sharpness. During this week I was testing this camcorder by tv reportage. When I looked into viewfinder I was sure that person at the first plan is sharpness and the background a bit blur. But after I check it on tv screen I see, that almost every time this person is a bit blur and background is sharpness. Is it some problem with viewfinder, with some settings or maybe I do something wrong ? Any advise ?
Artur Spodobalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

sharpness...

Sounds like your back focus may be out. I suggest you look at the sample from Tim Dashwood's new DVD on this camera:

http://www.dvinfo.net/prohd/Sample2.html
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank's for information, but yesterday I was setting back focus (maybe not so carrefully), but I'll do it tomorrow once again. I hope it will helps.
Old April 18th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hey artur

if you zoom in, and adjust the focus so the subject plane is sharp, and then you zoom out, and the subject plane goes soft, then your back focus is out. It has to be set very precisely. You can also use the focus assist button, which will show you which plane of your image is in focus. And I always keep the Peaking dial turned up to full, as I find that helps as well.

The viewfinder on this camera is a pretty low-quality unit, certainly if you are used to CRT viewfinders in broadcast cameras. It takes a lot of practice to get used to it, and I find without max peaking it is really hard to be sure of the focus. You;ll find a lot of discussion on this board by operators who use HD monitors to check their focus and colour.
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Wrangler

The weakest component of the ProHD cameras is probably the viewfinder. If the issue is not backfocus then maybe you just need to either increase or decrease the peaking knob on the left side of the camera. I would set it to the 12 o'clock position for best results. If it is set too high everything might look in-focus, even if it isn't. If it is set too low you will never be able to tell when something is in focus.
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Robert,
Before this camcorder, I was using Sony DSR200/250 and there is CRT viewfinder. So, as you say there is a lot of practice before me, now. Thank's a lot for yours help.
Regards,
Artur
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #7
New Boot

Hi,
Thank's for yours help. Today I've set back focus once again and I think it looks better. Also, I have to say, that focus assist helps a lot, especially with this not so good viewfinder. I just hope, I will learn how to work with it. Or maybe one day jvc will make a better one (vf).
Thank's once again,
Artur
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

that's good to hear, Artur. I think that in almost every other respect you will find this camera a pleasure to work with. And yes, let's hope that one day JVC decide to spend another few hundred dollars on a decent viewfinder! - Even if they have to pass the cost on to the consumer.
Robert Adams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems