Capture Gaps in FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture Gaps in FCP

Hi all,

When I capture footage to my hard drive through FCP 5.1, the capture stops at random times and restarts, leaving a gap of normally 7-8 seconds in the capture. There is no rhyme or reason for this; it's almost like it's sensing a timecode break (although there isn't a TC break). I've tried all the steps recommended elsewhere, i.e. doing "Capture Now", de-selecting "Create New Clip on Startup", deleting preferences, etc. Nothing works. It just stops the capture and restarts wherever it feels like, leaving huge gaps.

Anyone else had this problem capturing footage from an HD100? It's driving me crazy and causing significant heartburn. Does anyone know if this is a known FCP bug, and if Apple's corrected it in subsequent versions?

There was a thread a little more than a year ago on the COW, and some speculated that it was an HDV-related issue. Different camera, though.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/929417

I've read some of the threads on here dealing with this issue, but applying those solutions hasn't worked. Should I just upgrade to FCP Studio 2?

My setup:

JVC HD100
MacBook Pro: Intel Dual Core, 2GB RAM
Capture to Lacie external 500GB through firewire 800 port

Thanks for any and all help.

Keith
Keith Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Upgrading to FCS2 won't necessarily help. I'm running FCP6.0.3 with the HD200UB and I've decided to use ProRes for exactly the reason you've indicated. At least now I only get breaks at tape start/stops.
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

ProRes

Hi Shaun,

I don't have a ProRes preset. Do you know if it's because my version of FCP doesn't have it?
Keith Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

ProRes was introduced in FCP6. You'll have Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). I've never used it but the discussion has been that it is quite good as well (not sure if better or "worse" than ProRes, just perfectly acceptable as an intermediate).
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I am having the same issue as well...I tried the Intermediate codec as well and no success... This is driving me crazy!

I shot using the HD-110U and am using the latest FC2. I don't have a video card like a AJA or anything. I am going fire wire from the camera right to my computer. Does anyone know how to fix this or if a video card would solve the problem?
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Stephen: If you have FCS2, try using ProRes. FAR from perfect but I'm getting almost all of my footage imported (albeit without reliable timecode or the ability to offline/online), at least on my HD200UB. Remember to turn your Pre Roll and Post Roll down to 1 second and FCP will respond quicker to start/stops.

My next step will be a Mac Pro with an AJA IO HD and internal and external SATA storage until I can justify a monster RAID.

I LOVE the JVC camera but MAN what a pain in the butt trying to play with FCP! Problem is I'm nine years invested in FCP so I REALLY don't want to switch (and I'm not sure there is a viable solution to switch TO).
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Shaun,

Were you recording in 24p advanced? I just got off the phone with B and H and they said there is a difference in your easy setup for 24p and 24p advanced... though I only see an easy setup for 24p-no advanced...
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Shaun,
Tried the proress thing and it is working! Thank you soo much! I am new to the whole HDV thing so this is baptism by fire.
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Great, glad to hear it. I'm shooting 60P on the 200U so I'm in a little different world.
Old June 26th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #10
New Boot

I have 3 GY-HD111 cams and they all had this problem with FCP. (I am using FCP 6.0.4). I got the firmware upgraded in all 3 and I have not had any random breaks since. I always let the tape roll for about 6-10 sec before action because no matter what, FCP will put breaks between scenes with JVC footage.
Hope this helps.
Peter Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi Peter.

I just upgraded to FCP 6.0.4 and noticed your comment that 6.0.4 plus firmware upgrade= no mid-clip breaks.

I still have the original firmware from 3 years ago. If you don't mind my asking, how did you go about upgrading yours? (Is it downloadable or did you have to send it in? And, if so, is there a current JVC contact in Australia who handles this now?)

Thanks.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #12
New Boot

Hey David
My cams were still under warranty so JVC Pro told me where to take them to get it done. I could do it myself (I did my BR-HD50 deck without issues) but seeing I didn't have to pay for it I got someone else to do it. If you do take the chance and do it yourself, you can badly damage your camera (so I have been told). They say you need to follow instructions very carefully!!!

You have to check that you download the correct file for your serial number. Do it at your own risk! I don't think it is very expensive to get it done at a service center. You can call JVC and ask.

Anyway, here is the firmware instructions and link.
http://www.jvcproeurope.com/firmware/hd11x/selector

I hope this helps. :)
Peter Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks very much for the info, Peter. I appreciate it.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems