JVC GY-HD200u battery question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 6th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Major Player

JVC GY-HD200u battery question

Ok, this is probably a question already answered but I can't find where so please forgive me if it is already asked and answered.

I ordered to JVC GY-HD200u for my boss and am trying to figure out the battery requirements. He needs to be able to shoot for at least 3 hours at a time (and I do to as he will let me check it out). Is the Anton Bauer Logic Series Dionic a good battery? It is here http://www.adorama.com/ABD90.html

If I buy that battery, do I have to buy the extemely expensive charger too? If so, can anyone recomend a less expensive option? I'm also getting him a 35mm lens adapter and the budget appears to be pretty blown.

Thank you as always for any help you can give me. I really know nothing about batteries.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Major Player

That's definitely one of (if not the) best battery money can buy. Just to give you an idea, just one of those powers my camera AND my light for about 3.5 hours of run and gun. Without the light I could probably go for 8 hours.

You could save $100 if you go with the Tandem 70 which combos as a power supply and single charger.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Major Player

That is a very good idea, but I think I'm going to go for the TITAN 70 and Trimpac 14 charger combo as the charger can be used for nicer batteries down the road. I had no idea to look for profesionaly batteries when I said I would do this. Oh, the learning curve!
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

When are you looking to get the 35 adapter?

I am going to be trying a converter that goes from 1/3" to Nikon and makes it so you don't need an adapter. Its also a lot cheaper than any adapters out there, under $400. I'm going to be ordering mine tomorrow and it is coming from UK, so i should have some news on it in a few weeks.

I have the tandom 70 and trimpack 14 and it last 3-4 hours for me.
Max Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm not sure yet, he has to decide which one he prefers. It is basically between RedRock and another now.

An adapter that goes from 1/3 to Nikon? That would be a lot better then filming the ground glass 35mm image I would think. Hmm. What is this device? It sounds perfect.
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I think i will order one tonight so i might have it end of next week, and then i have to find a lens to go with it. But the removable lens is the reason i got the HD110 over the HVX, so it seemed funny that now 35 adapters use something like this.

Here is what i got from the person that makes it:

It protrudes from the camera about 15mm ( less than 5/8" )
any Nikon lens will do. It is just a lens adapter , so there is no alteration to the image size , or quality.
This is a straight adapter from Nikon - 1/3" No optics , mirrors , etc.
It just sets the lens at the correct Focal Depth.
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

A Bayonet to Nikon mount will not give you the same results as a 35mm adaptor. It will also restrict you to almost exclusively telephoto shots.
Drew Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cusick View Post
A Bayonet to Nikon mount will not give you the same results as a 35mm adaptor. It will also restrict you to almost exclusively telephoto shots.
Is that because the size of the 1/3" sensor vs the 35mm camera sensor, giving it the look of it being zoomed in?

If so what about using the mount with a relay lens that connected to a 35mm adapter?
My main thing is i don't want my setup being so long, with the Fujinon and then a adapter on the front.
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #9
Major Player

Have a look at

http://www.proav.co.uk/product_info....20ac1f56a26276

Swit batteries are an excellent alternative to the more expensive IDX units. You'll find you can shoot for a whole day on 2 to 3 batteries. They offer excellent value for money when compared to major brand batteries. Obviously you'll need to order your 200 with an IDX back.

As for 35mm dof adaptors, I'd recommend you avoid the Letus with this camera. It's fiddly, hit and miss, not sharp and in my opinion not suitable for the JVC. I can't speak for other units although I'd assume the same may be true due to the stock jvc lens. Until Letus bring out a direct relay I'd avoid them altogether unless you go for a P+S.

Hope that helps.
Stuart
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #10
Regular Crew

the Titan 70 and Tandum 70 are the same thing. (they just changed the names)
FWIW, I charge a Hytron 140 on a Tandum charger

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems