How would you rate the JVC ProHD 63min Tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 12th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #1
Major Player

How would you rate the JVC ProHD 63min Tapes

Hey Guys

I can get my hands on the ProHD 63min tapes at a good price i have used them in my JVC camera but now i would like to use them in my Sony Z7

There shouldn't be any issues i have never reused a tape i always use new tapes

Rob.
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #2
Major Player

I think they are very good (so far)

I've found drop-out instances to be rare (touching wood) so can recommend these tapes. They are cheap too!

Many people on this forum advise against tape brand swapping but I can't say I've ever in my career heard of this problem before and neither have I ever had any issues from using Maxel and Sony tapes for example, in my Digi Beta etc. However, I can't say I've ever swapped brands in my JVC, only because the tapes I get are the best price and work well!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #3
New Boot

I agree with Stuart, The JVC's are priced well and work great. I bet they will work just fine in that sony of yours. BTW what's your good price if you don't mind me asking?

j
James Espy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Major Player

I was faithful to the jvc tapes from day one, but I got frequent drop-outs so
I switch to the sony hdv tapes and only had 1 drop out in a year.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Major Player

about 5 or 6 Euros per roll plus vat.
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
Hey Guys

I can get my hands on the ProHD 63min tapes at a good price i have used them in my JVC camera but now i would like to use them in my Sony Z7

There shouldn't be any issues i have never reused a tape i always use new tapes

Rob.
I originally used them in my JVC GR-HD1 and now in my Canon XH-A1. Never had a problem or dropout so far. Good tapes.
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Make sure you thoroughly clean the heads / tape mechanism before changing tape types. Some of the ingredients used by manufacturers don't play nicely with the opposition tape.

I had problems with other manufacturers before changing to JVC ProHD stock, but this maybe partly due to using whatever stock the producer provided. Now I always insist on the JVC stock I provide and have had no problems in over a year.
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #8
Major Player

I just had an interesting conversation with someone. Are standard dv tapes, such as the Sony DVCam tapes just as good as the HDV mini DV tapes in the JVC camera?
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #9
New Boot

I was just having the same conversation with someone about dvcam vs. jvc hdv tapes, anyone have any info?
James Espy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Balsdon View Post
Make sure you thoroughly clean the heads / tape mechanism before changing tape types. Some of the ingredients used by manufacturers don't play nicely with the opposition tape.

I had problems with other manufacturers before changing to JVC ProHD stock, but this maybe partly due to using whatever stock the producer provided. Now I always insist on the JVC stock I provide and have had no problems in over a year.
Phil

the Sony Z7 is brand new have run 20 sony DVM60PRO tapes through the camera but now i can save $4 per tape using the JVC ProHD 63min tapes but am scared to run a head cleaning tape

what do you think
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #11
Major Player

I've got close to a 100 never used DVCAM mini dv tapes and would love to use them. I'd be able to save a little money.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Rob,
I think running a head cleaning tape won't do any significant harm to your camera. You should do this every so often anyway.

What will be a problem is the mixing of different compounds used by different manufacturers of tape stock. Small amounts residue gets left on heads and tape transport path in the deck. In some cases the chemical combining of what is meant to be a lubricant becomes more like a glue. At best you'll end up with lots of drop outs or a major cleaning at a service centre.

Lemac rentals now insist you use the manufacturer of the cameras brand of tape in the camera they hire you.

Contact me directly if you want to know exactly what happened to me (details on contact page of my website. Contacts for Phil Balsdon, cinematographer and steadicam operator)

Phil Balsdon
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I make a point of running a JVC branded cleaning tape thru my HD200 for the recommended 10 seconds every 20-30 ish hours of tape roll as a matter of course. Yes, premature wear is bad but drop outs are worse if they occur during a "never again" scene. Just my 2 cents.
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #14
Major Player

Just spoke to JVC rep and he told me not to use a JVC tape in a sony camera. Sony use wet tapes i dont understand what he meant by that and there heads work differently so i guess i will stay with the sony brand and just re-use them once.
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #15
New Boot

you re-use tape?
James Espy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems