short film shot on HD200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Inner Circle

short film shot on HD200

Hi guys, here's a little short shot with an HD200 purchased from Texas Tapeworks. It was supposed to be an audition tape but looks like it can stand on its own. Feel free to tear it to shreds. It's barely 3 minutes long.
ALLAN By Ted Ramasola On ExposureRoom
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Love it Brian

Love to hear all the details how you shot it.
Joe

Last edited by Joseph A. Benoit; November 9th, 2008 at 09:39 PM.
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That is really beautiful Ted, when you mount some interesting glass and go in gently with soft lighting in the right hands the HD 200 series is capable of wonderful things. The more I see, the more I'm pleased to have one, Thanks for showing us. I too would love to hear about settings and filters
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Great to see that Brian and Ted are collaborating- been reading both of your posts for a long time.

The piece is excellent as an audition reel. We really get to hear her voice cadence and the lighting quality is pretty amazing for a minimal set up. VO quality sounds really good as well. Impressive!
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ferar View Post
Great to see that Brian and Ted are collaborating- been reading both of your posts for a long time.

The piece is excellent as an audition reel. We really get to hear her voice cadence and the lighting quality is pretty amazing for a minimal set up. VO quality sounds really good as well. Impressive!
Thanks Justin, actually this little audition/short has dvinfo prints all over it. The camera came from Texas Tapeworks and was originally owned by Eric Gulbransen.
Old November 9th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #6
Trustee

Joseph,

It was a rush rush thing, it was the first time for the talent to do something like that. I briefed and psyched her up first to get into character, I boarded each take with some quick sketches so she'll get an idea which part of her body needs to go into character. I used my DIY spinner with nikon mount. 50mm was for the opening only, the rest was the heavy 80-200 f2.8 which i can easily re-compose with without moving the camera. Our facility is in an old pre-war structure so the location was just there.

Light for the model are nine spiral flos which i placed in a DIY softbox.

Color grading done in after effects.

Justin,

This forum does have its print on it, Bob Hart and others here helped with that adapter. Brian provided the screenplay. Eric Gulbransen was where I got the HD200 from. -and oh, I used a modified version of Tim Dashwood's superwide scene file!

Last edited by Ted Ramasola; November 10th, 2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added text
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Really really cool.

Really loved the script.

What was the work by Poe from which this was inspired?
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kraus View Post
Really really cool.

Really loved the script.

What was the work by Poe from which this was inspired?
I adapted "The Tell Tale Heart" in to a 12 page script. Modernized, changed a buncha stuff. The scene Ted filmed was the opening scene.

Thanks for the compliments!
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Nimmo View Post
That is really beautiful Ted, when you mount some interesting glass and go in gently with soft lighting in the right hands the HD 200 series is capable of wonderful things. The more I see, the more I'm pleased to have one, Thanks for showing us. I too would love to hear about settings and filters
Stuart,

Thanks for the kind words.
I didn't filter the shots. All color grading was done in post.
I decided to color grade in AE since the pieces are short.
The settings I used for the camera, since this is the 200 series, is a modified setting of Tim's superwide scene file.
The 80-200 is a great bright piece of glass. -and its heavy.

Last edited by Ted Ramasola; November 10th, 2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Very nice, love it!

There is a certain graininess in the pictures, does that come from the 35mm adapter?
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Immler View Post
Very nice, love it!

There is a certain graininess in the pictures, does that come from the 35mm adapter?
Thanks,

The hd200 is a better camera in terms of handling noise as compared to the hd100, the equation changes with the addition of a lens adapter. the graininess is not so apparent in the raw footage. This is due to the lens adapter gg under low light conditions, the pushing of contrast and sharpness in post and worsened by low bitrate compression in wmv.
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thank you for that info Ted, I've sent your inspirational clip to a couple of serious production manager friends here in Paris... No I didn't claim it as my own!
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #13
Trustee

That's awesome Stuart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Immler View Post
Very nice, love it!

Stefan,

heres a frame grab from the raw m2t so you can see the "texture" produced by using the adapter and color rendering before the graded finished clip.

I was using a very slightly modified Tim Dashood Superwide scene file.
Attached Thumbnails
short film shot on HD200-raw-framegrb.jpg  
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems