Filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 29th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Filters

So, my boss gave me the JVC GY HD200u as a Christmas bonus. It is all mine. Which means I'm totally responsible now for all equipment.

I wanted to get some filters for it. Specifically, 4x4 filters. Right now, I have a Tiffen Black Diffusion 1, and a Tiffen UV filter. What other ones would you recommend? I was thinking about picking this kit up Cavision | Set of 4x4" Glass Filters | FTG4X4SET | B&H but don't really know anything about it. For instance, some of the filters seem to be only colored on one half, which seems strange.

Thank you all again for your help.

Jason
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
The "coloured on one side" means it's a graduated filter. The effect gradually transitions from effected to clear. This is used a lot for affecting skylines without affecting grass and/or people in the frame. As well, there are as many applications of a graduated filter as there are people using them.
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Ahh! That makes sense. Thank you very much for your reply.

Hmm. Another question, I have a matte box for the camera that holds two filters. Does it matter much which order I put them in?
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I think you're approaching this the wrong way, get a filter when you come across a problem that needs a filter to solve it!
So if you shoot landscapes and have burnt out bright skies get an ND grad, if you need to remove reflections get a polariser etc. Sounds like you're wanting to use filters for the sake of it.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Major Player

You might be right. I think they are really cool and love them for my still cameras. Hmm. Maybe I'll pass on it for now.
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Depending on what sort of work you're doing, in general filters tend to look very gimmicky and naff! Even things like ND grads need to be used carefully so as not to look obvious, the effect you go for is that it's no noticeable that a filter has even been used>
Steve
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #7
Major Player

Hmm. Thank you again. Is there a video (preferably free) on using filters to show what the effects look like for video?
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

A polarizer always comes in handy when shooting exteriors. It darkens blown out skies and makes greens and reds really pop. It also cuts reflections on windows, etc. Even when it's not rotated to polarize light, it functions as an ND filter which the JVC really needs when shooting in bright exteriors, as the built in ND filters aren't enough for me. It's not always appropriate or necessary, but if you want vibrant colors in your exterior shots, it really works.
Todd Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #9
Inner Circle

BUT don't overdo it, even polarisers can look naff on wide angles particularly, as you get uneven polarisation so the centre part goes darker than the edges.
As for something showing the effects, you might find comparisons on some of the filter makers' websites, try Tiffen, Lee, Schneider etc. Ryan Avery from Schneider Optics is active on DVInfo, he may be able to help.
Steve
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #10
Major Player

Thank you very much. I appreciate the advice and will begin having a look at the sites for more information.
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
The nice thing here is that you have a matte box, which makes using polarizers much easier than using the screw on type. Much quicker to "pop" a 4x4 filter into the holder and start shooting than having to remove the sunshade, screw the filter on...
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #12
Major Player

I am noticing that already. It seems to be a much better solution.

Does anyone have any experience with the Cavision 4x4 filters? They are a LOT cheaper than the others.
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Are they resin or glass? Bear in mind that the resin ones are much cheaper but they do scratch. I used Lee resin grads for quite a while, but after having to replace them every 12 months or so I decided to get some Tiffen glass ones (£270 each!!!). They didn't scratch and were great - until I lost them!!! Am going to try some Formatt ones soon I think as they are cheaper and more local to me here in Wales.
Steve
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #14
Major Player

They are actually glass Cavision | Set of 4x4" Glass Filters | FTG4X4SET | B&H

So I'm going to get them and give it a try. Hopefully they will be at least marginally decent.
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Blimey, that is cheap. 6 filters for the same price as 1 Tiffen! Let us know what they look like.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems